To Everyone Supporting '#NotMyAriel,' You Look Really Racist
Currently

To Everyone Under The Sea Tweeting '#NotMyAriel,' Y'all Looking Really Racist Right Now

My question is, how are you so upset over something fictional?

567

For those who may not know, Halle Bailey was recently cast for the role of Ariel in the 2019 live-action remake of Disney's "The Little Mermaid."

Now that everyone has been informed, you are welcome to form your own opinion on the issue, however, I have a suggestion. Hear me out.

Ariel from "The Little Mermaid" is originally portrayed as having white skin and brilliant red hair. But what does that have to do with her story? What does the color of her skin have to do with literally anything?

And no, just because I'm for the race change from the original story does not mean that other Disney stories are okay to do the same. Tiana, Mulan, Pocahontas, Moana, Jasmine, Merida cannot and should not be changed because their stories rely on and are based around that princesses' culture.

Ariel is part fish. She breathes air and water. Her best friends are a fish and a crab and she has six older sisters that have shell bras to match their tails.

Sure, she doesn't have the skin color you want. But stop screaming about a fish, sis.

For many girls that grew up with these stories, we found hope and joy in these characters and enjoy the tales to this day. Let some other little girls enjoy their hopes and dreams being built.

One other thing — every time you say something stupid like, "she's not my Ariel," you look ridiculous. No. It's not the princess you grew up with and that's okay because what would stories be worth if they didn't develop over time, reach new audiences and bring joy to other children?

And you look racist and nobody wants that, it's not a good look on you.