All By Yourself: Why Growing Up Sucks

All By Yourself: Why Growing Up Sucks

We thought it would be the best years of our lives, but we were wrong.

179
All By Yourself: Why Growing Up Sucks
Odyssey

No longer are the days where you would fall asleep on the downstairs sofa, but wake up in your comfortable and familiar bed. Not only have you outgrown your Barbie bedsheets, you've also outgrown the bed they originally covered. Maybe you've been out of the house and on your own for a few years now, or maybe you were able to squeeze a few more amazing years out of being cared for. When you find yourself on your own, you truly come to appreciate the little things you used to know.

1. Let's start with the obvious: Food

No longer are the days where your mom asked you what you wanted for dinner and you later sat down at your table to a full feast. Now you walk over to your fridge, open it, and wonder why it's empty. That's because you're the one who was supposed to stock it. And you didn't. Let's not even talk about the regret you feel for not learning how to cook before you left home.

2. Money

Now why didn't you stock the fridge? Maybe it's because you were lazy, or maybe it's because that stuff costs money. And not Monopoly money, real money. When you were younger you didn't really have a great concept of money. Unfortunately now you do, and let me tell you it is expensive to live.

3. Buying things you don't want, but things you need.

This one kind of encompasses the first two points, but goes so much further. For starters, you're spending money on things like textbooks and gas. You thought you would be spending money on traveling and going out with your friends, but you were so wrong. Don't even get me started on Christmas...

4. Christmas

Not to sound ungrateful or spoiled, but was Christmas not so much better when you were younger? You would sleep all night to run downstairs and see that Santa piled presents ceiling high just for you. There were barbie dolls and an Easy Bake Oven. Now you're overjoyed to find an entire box full of socks under the tree. Grateful? Yes. Fun? Only if they're fuzzy.

5. People expect more from you.

They expect you to be an actual adult. They expect you to dress like an adult. They expect you to talk like an adult (to other, older adults). And they expect you to behave like an adult. That means getting yourself places, on time might I add.

6. The workload

You complained about work in middle school, and high school wasn't much better. Now you would give anything to go back to those days. There are classes, and essays, jobs and internships. The list never ends and it's only going to get worse. We're only going to get busier and have more responsibilities.

7. You can't stay in bed all day.

I mean, I guess you can. But nothing will get done. You have responsibilities now (see #5 and #6). So get out of bed.

8. It's no longer acceptable for your parents to do everything for you.

This may be the saddest fact of all. You have to make your own doctor appointments, you have to order your own food. Your parents aren't there 24/7 and you often find yourself calling them asking how to do tasks you find so hard, yet they find so simple. So I guess we're not completely on our own yet.