5 Ways Growing Up As A One Direction Fangirl Positively Shaped Who I Am Today
Celebrities

I still know every single lyric of their songs by heart. You could play "Stockholm Syndrome" in 15 years and I guarantee you'll catch me bopping along.

53

The word fangirl often times has a negative connotation and is associated with the synonyms: obsessive and delusional. Although these two characteristics may have some truth to them, they don't reveal the entire picture of what it's like to grow up a fangirl. At 18 years old, I wholeheartedly believe that if you weren't a fangirl or fanboy of something at one point in your life, then you weren't really LIVING life.

Being completely consumed by One Direction was for some reason so exciting, and such an integral part of my life.

1. I'm more outgoing and more willing to share my interests

Being in a fandom, lead me to have common interests with several people. We were connected by our love for this one band and it created a unity stronger than any other force. A band of fangirls is impenetrable and quite honestly, pretty scary. Because I was so complacent in expressing my love for One Direction, I was able to form lifelong friendships and become comfortable in myself. I even met my best friend through our shared love for Zayn Malik. I became more extroverted and any time One Direction was mentioned, I could never stop talking.

2. I'm more creative

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I wrote fanfiction. I even found a notebook from the seventh grade containing pages of potential fanfic story ideas I wanted to publish. Yup, I was in that deep into the fandom world. Along with that, I have very vivid memories of my best friend and I writing songs we created, that we planned to send to One Direction's management, in hopes that they would notice us and even fall in love with us for being so talented.

3. I can appreciate the little things

Being a fangirl meant that every little update on a member of One Direction would send me into a whirlwind of squealing and unconfined excitement. Literally, someone could post a picture of Harry's finger and you could catch me screaming and jumping about it. My happiness level would shoot up, even with the mention of any of their names.

4. I understand stan language

Because, I was a fangirl, I was able to learn and comprehend a completely different language: stan language. Stan language consists of words and phrases that the common internet user wouldn't understand. Stan, itself, means to be a fan of. Words like wig, tea, sister, skinny legend, and shook take on a whole new meaning than what is commonly understood by the general population.

5. I have a memory full of ESSENTIAL information

My memory is filled with information about all five members of One Direction. I still know every single lyric of their songs by heart. You could play "Stockholm Syndrome" in 15 years and I guarantee you'll catch me bopping along. The memory space in my brain that should be taken up by chemical formulas, biological processes, grammar rules, etc., is instead taken up by information like the exact time and place the boys in One Direction were born. Very important stuff, I know.

* * *

Growing up a fangirl has taught me life lessons and has allowed me to become the woman I am today. If you're reading this article and you were never completely obsessed with a band, TV show, singer, or whatever it is that interests you, just know that it's never too late to let it consume your entire life.