"Groundhog Day The Musical" Was Incredibly Underrated

Let Me Tell You Why Groundhog Day The Musical Was Immensely Underrated

As your resident musical theatre nerd, please take this article to heart.

106
Bridget MacPherson

Welcome to the end of January folks. We are already a month into 2019 and that honestly is just really hard to wrap my mind around, so instead of hitting you with my usual self-help column of the week, I've decided to get festive. Festive for what you might ask? Well for Groundhog Day of course! Okay well, not exactly. As much as I love Punxsutawney Phil and his yearly predictions, I am here to talk about the theatrical masterpiece that was "Groundhog Day the Musical."

Full cast of Groundhog Day the Musicalhttps://www.groundhogdaymusical.com/about/

For those of you who are fans of the Bill Murray masterpiece, I am sorry for those of you who missed this spectacle. I was fortunate enough to see this show in March of 2017 during its short run on Broadway. It was not a show that I had followed through previews, so it was more of a pleasant surprise to be able to see this show, and let me tell you, it blew my socks off.

Starring Andy Karl and Barrett Doss, (and featuring Cypress Lake High School alum Michael Fatica) this musical was such an incredible homage to the movie, with its own unique spin on the story of Phill Connors and his time in Punxsutawney. The music by Tim Minchin was incredible, the acting was so well done, and most of all, the stage design was mind-blowing. There were so many instances where I was shocked by the movement of the cast around the stage. Without giving too much away (I am still holding out for a revival/national tour) there is a song that truly feels like a magic show with all of the special effects used.

Andy Karl and Barrett Doss as Phill Connors and Rita Hansonhttps://www.groundhogdaymusical.com/about/

Anyway, in a season of incredible musicals including the premieres of "Dear Evan Hansen," "Come from Away," and "Hello, Dolly!," it was so exciting to see "Groundhog Day" nominated for seven Tony awards, including Best Musical! Unfortunately, the cast walked away empty-handed, but being nominated alone was such an accomplishment, especially with the band of successful shows nominated alongside them.

That being said, it was very disappointing when the show closed after only five months on Broadway. I know there are so many factors that play into the success and lasting power of a Broadway show, but I was definitely saddened by the fact that many people likely will never be able to experience this incredible show. So, I advise you all to check out the cast recording and keep watch for any revivals/tours, because you better believe I will!

And most importantly, pray that Punxsutawney Phil misses his shadow because I am freezing up here!