To The Women Who Just Joined A Sorority, Don't Forget To Bring Your Faith With You

This is an exciting time, but it can get overwhelming, and you are not the only one who has felt this way.

291

You are now a part of the sisterhood that makes you feel right at home, YAY!

Everybody wants you to have the best experience possible. Whether that be from participating in Panhellenic activities, going on lunch dates with your new sisters or even just those fun late-night chats about any and everything. However, learning all about what goes on in a sorority, trying to remember all the lifetime member's names, comprehending what is going on in chapter meetings and especially finding your place within the sorority all while juggling everything else in your life can easily become overwhelming and stressful.

That is how it was for me last year and all I had to do was to share my worries and fears with my new sisters because that is what they are there for, and most importantly, I had to trust in God that if He really put me here for a reason it was going to be fulfilled.

I so badly wanted to make those connections with all my new sisters, but once the excitement was turning more into a reality with attending classes on a regular basis and studying nonstop, I was starting to question whether I could handle everything. My faith is something that I hold very close in my life, so I knew that I had to breathe and trust that God was going to handle the things I did not have control over. For example, it was going to take time for me to learn all the things it's not something that will happen right away. Since I am the only member in my family who is involved with Greek life I was learning all of this on my own and I had felt that I was the only one in my new member class that was not catching on quickly.

By attending campus ministry meetings, bible study and church weekly it gave me the Christian community that I needed so that I wouldn't be convinced of the lies I was telling myself that I couldn't do it or that I wouldn't fit in with the rest of my sisters. It states in Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

This verse tells me that God does not want us to be anxious but to come to him constantly through prayer with all our worries and doubts because He will provide peace.

So for all the new young women in a sorority, enjoy your time being in your new home away from home, make memories and do not feel like you are alone in this new process. There are sisters there to support, help and love you in any way. Give it time to learn all the new things and if it helps there are still things that I do not know.