Could Great Celebrities Save Bad Movies or Series?

Great Celebrities > and/or < Bad Movies or Series

20
Vutlure

The answer is yes. Well, sometimes. Throughout cinematic history, we have seen excellent films that brought out brilliant actors and actresses. As we see them in new projects, we grow to like them and want to see them pursue more roles, even if they're aren't starring in anything spectacular. I've heard people tell me that they would see anything with Denzel Washington in it. Anything! That means if something is bad but has a good cast, they will watch it and potentially like it. This shows the power these celebrities have in this industry.

One show that I believe is terrible, but many people seem to love is The Ranch. I watched a few episodes and I didn't find it a funny or interesting. I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. As bad as it is, the series revolves around the well known actors, Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson; the same actors who starred together on the popular sitcom, That 70s Show. As The Ranch continued, more actors from That 70s Show guest starred on it. I feel it's possible they're trying to reinvent That 70s Show and because it is not cancelled, it's working.

Another show that pulled this trick was the cult classic film and Netflix series, Wet Hot American Summer. This was something I actually enjoyed watching because it worked. It couldn't have been successful if it wasn't for the famous cast who acted in this. The movie starred Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Ken Marino, Bradly Cooper, and many other big names you would be familiar with. The reason it worked is because of how ridiculous it was. These actors and actress were in their thirties and forties playing sixteen-year olds. The viewers, including me, just played along. It's funny. Since Bradley Cooper wasn't available to shoot Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, they replaced his character with Adam Scott, another famous actor. Usually people despise new actors replacing the old one but it's hilarious for this situation because it's Adam Scott. We all know who he is. If a new unfamiliar actor replaced Bradley Cooper, then the writers' goal wouldn't have been effective. This demonstrates how a certain actor could improve the image of a series or movie.

As I mentioned above, this strategy doesn't always work. They tried this method in Jack and Jill and The Emoji Movie. In Jack and Jill, Adam Sandler believed Al Pacino's appearance would increase the ratings towards this movie; it didn't work. The movie bombed immediately after the release. I still have yet to watch The Emoji Movie, but I saw it got the worst reviews I've ever read about a movie. An eight year old child told me it was terrible. You know your movie failed when your target audience didn't enjoy it. Anna Faris, Sofia Vergara, Sean Hayes, and Patrick Stewart couldn't even rescue this movie.

Celebrities have the power to change an image of a series or movie but they shouldn't be a reliable solution. You could have amazing celebrities perform in your film and produce excellent cinematography, but if you have an awful storyline, then you will have an awful movie.