What The Golden Gate Bridge Made Me Realize About Humanity

I don't even believe I can adequately describe the feelings that came over me.

11
Jenna DelVecchio

As someone who avidly follows the news and thinks it is extremely important to keep up with current events I have to admit, lately I have been more disgusted by it than normal. The headlines have included registered sex offender Brock Turner only getting six months in jail for raping an unconscious woman, a madman with a big gun shooting up a gay night club, the ever-growing debate around gun control, celebrities getting shot at events, and people supporting Donald Trump’s blatant racism and bad ideas. With these issues highlighted it has been a disheartening summer. If I am being honest, over the last few weeks I have been extremely angry at America and the society we have been transforming ourselves into.

Despite these issues, I tried to push those ideas to the back of my mind as I embarked on a recent family vacation to San Francisco, California.

During our trip, my family visited the Golden Gate Bridge. If you've never been there, I highly recommend you not only put it on your bucket list but move it to the top. The bridge is a massive red structure with incredible views of the entire city, each way you look is more beautiful than the last. As I walked the bridge that is miles long I was truly astonished.

I don't even believe I can adequately describe the feelings that came over me but I am going to try. People built this massive structure over 80 years ago and it still stands today. I was in awe of the plan, constructions, and execution of the bridge.

As strange as it sounds the bridge calmed me, I was reminded of the impressive, amazing and astonishing things that humans can create and do. It was a breathe of fresh air compared to the news that had been throw at me since the summer began.

Even in the darkest stories and most disheartening events, I now will try to remember the scenic walk I took on the Golden Gate Bridge one day in June. We all have the ability to create great wonders, think positive thoughts and do good. Let’s remember that even through all the bad, we can still see the positive and send a little extra love out into the world.