How to be okay with going back home
Education

How to be okay with going back home

Moving back can be scary but it can be needed

12
www.theodysseyonline.com

I am a college sophomore which makes me feel like a child in the college scene. I went about an hour away from home for my freshman year. I had no idea what I wanted to major in and I had no idea how to be truly independent. That one month away from home made me really contemplate why I hated my hometown so much. All of the reasons I hated it are the reasons I wanted to go back. For my freshman year I went to Midlands Tech in Columbia and I hated the big city. It was stressful and if you don't party and aren't very social then you will feel so alone. I wanted to be home so badly that I made the hour drive back home almost every weekend. I wanted to feel at home again. I soon learned that I didn't quite belong in Columbia or Rock Hill. I felt lost. I realized that I wanted to change my major from biochemistry to art education and I realized that a great education college is back home. I left Columbia because of the things I didn't like and I came home for all of the right reasons. I am living at home this year for school to save money and to avoid staying in a dorm. Being home has given me a new perspective on my hometown. I am near family, my dog, and my loving boyfriend these are all things I needed while I was in school. I was deprived of my security and I grew from it but I am glad to be back with everything I have learned and to be ready for my second year in college. There is no shame in coming home it can feel like you're going backwards but you're just realizing what you need. Don't ever let anyone belittle your choice for staying in your hometown for college.