Give Ryan Lochte A Break

Give Ryan Lochte A Break

Continuously dragging his mistakes to the surface isn't helping anyone

6
Give Ryan Lochte A Break
E Online

Ryan Lochte and other American swimmers were caught up in an alleged armed robbery over a month ago during the Olympics. Let me repeat that — this happened over a month ago and yet we are still caught up in the drama. Yes, it was extremely immature and unprofessional of the American swimmers, but lets give Lochte a break.

Some of you are probably really pissed at me for saying this. But let me ask you this —have you ever made a decision that you regretted after it happened? If you respond no — you're lying. Sometimes you make decisions that you later regret, but life goes on. Don't get me wrong, the media calling these Olympic swimmers 'kids' was a mistake because they are not children. They need to accept responsibility for their actions and we shouldn't give them a break 'just because they're children'. Lochte is suspended for 10 months — longer than Phelps for his DUI's and lost several major sponsors. He has accepted responsibility for his actions, is already being punished, and doesn't need us to continuously remind him that he fucked up. How would you feel if the people around you kept dragging your mistakes through the puddles? Probably angry and upset right? Thought so.

What do most people do when they make a mistake? They try to remedy the situation. Lochte was cast as a star on Dancing with the Stars alongside Olympic champion Laurie Hernandez. Lochte is trying to salvage his reputation and get the American people back in his good graces, yet some are hesitant and are even protesting the show. Going as far as storming the floor during the judges critique during last week's show. This protest took away from the other stars' big night especially America's sweetheart, Laurie Hernandez. As she performed after the protest, her partner felt that her big moment was taken away from her and it was. By protesting Lochte, we are not only dragging him through the puddles, but his fellow contestants and his family — especially his mother.

As a fellow American citizen who was deeply ashamed by Lochte and the other American swimmers actions — I am asking you to give Lochte a break. Dancing with the Stars is a classy, fun and positive show. Derek Hough, one of the professional dancers, showcased this during the protest telling the protesters to get out and helped escort them from the set. He later stated, "I was just so shocked that people would come here and be so negative. This is a safe place for people to learn a new skill and seek redemption or start a new chapter in their life and that’s what Ryan is trying to do." I think we should all take a leaf out of Hough's book. Instead of dragging all of this negativity and bad press through the show affecting him, other stars and the professional dancers — give him a chance to redeem himself.

And maybe if you are really feeling it — you can even buy an "I love Lochte" t-shirt.