Before You Get Mad, Gain Perspective

Before You Get Mad, Gain Perspective

Be slow to anger but quick to listen.

39
Before You Get Mad, Gain Perspective
Destiny Rasmussen

Everybody seems so easily flustered these days. Too many people jump to conclusions and don't take the time needed to properly think about a situation and why they're truly angry. Well, I'm here to tell you why you should.

There's no fun in being angry or annoyed at someone. If you could choose any emotion, choose joy because being bitter all the time leads to a sorrowful and empty life. It hardly matters what the person did to you, honestly (okay, leave out the exceptions of someone murdering a loved one or trying to murder you; think realistically here). Most of the time when people are upset nowadays it's because of someone else is a minor inconvenience in their day. Think of the situation from the other person's perspective, though.

Are you mad at someone for driving too slow?

Okay, but what if it's a teenager new to driving and their nervous? A mother with her young child(ren) trying to be safe? Don't be mad just because they inconvenienced you, just be calm and think things through.

Did someone say something in a rather demeaning tone to you?

Don't give attitude back. Just stay relaxed and maybe your calm demeanor will calm them as well. Maybe they had a bad day and they just happened to have taken some attitude up with you because of it. Granted they shouldn't have done that, but that doesn't mean you should make their day worse. Remember, giving attitude back will only worsen your mood too.

Did your roommate not do the dishes? Or did they not take the trash out?

Maybe they were running late to work or class, or maybe they literally just forgot (believe it or not, accidentally forgetting to do something is a situation we ALL can relate to). Even if they're a repeat offender, you should still try to put yourself in their shoes.

Without patience and kindness, there would be no righteousness. Have empathy and see things through a perspective not belonging to yourself. Doing so could change your entire outlook on life and even help you with whatever anger or negativity is in your life.

Another way of changing your perspective on more personal situations is, instead of asking, "Why is this happening to me?" try thinking, "What is this teaching me?"