Games For Game Night

10 Games To Play During Game Night That May Or May Not Result In A Family Feud

Some of these names might sound obscure, but the best games have the weirdest names.

75
Joscelyn Ervin

I've always been a big advocate for game nights. Ever since learning to play many of these games in high school band during off days, I've fallen in love with most of these. For instance, the main picture above is from a recent game night with some friends and family before moving back to start my second year of college.

Although some of these names might sound obscure, like Exploding Kittens or Egyptian Rat Screw, the games are worth it; I've learned that the best games have the weirdest names. I hope you have a chance to give them a shot if you haven't already!

1. UNO

UNO

I'm almost sure that we've all played UNO at least once, but I'm still adding this to the list because let's be honest, it's a classic. Even though it's probably made you turn on friends and family countless times, UNO has a spot in game night culture that can never be lost.

2. Cards Against Humanity

Cards Against Humanity

In case you've been living in a cave for the past five or so years, I made sure to add Cards Against Humanity to the list as well. Cards Against Humanity is like a twisted, adult version of Apples to Apples. The players choose cards to go with other cards and another player, that rotates each round, judges which combination he or she likes best. The funniest results usually win.

3. Exploding Kittens

Exploding Kitten

This is one of my favorite games of all time. Exploding Kittens is a little hard to explain without laying out all of the different cards, but I'll give you a basic layout. This game is played with a specific deck of cards, like UNO. Everyone starts out with four random cards and a green defuse card. Each player takes turns either playing a card or cards and drawing another from the top of the deck, or not playing anything and still drawing another card from the deck. In the deck are multiple exploding kittens, that will kill you instantly if you don't have a diffuse card. The goal is to be the last player standing.

4. Egyptian Rat Screw or "ERS"

Slapping

Similar to Slap Jack, a game of ERS is played by trying to slap cards in certain instances. The deck is passed out as evenly as possible to all members of the group, and each player takes turns laying out cards face up. If the person before you lays down a jack, you lay down one card and, if it's not another face card, they get the whole pile. If they lay down a queen, you have two chances to lay down another face card. If it's a king, you get three chances. If it's an ace, four. If there is a sandwich or two of the same numbers or faces in a row, the pile is open for anyone to slap and take. The goal is to obtain the whole deck.

5. BS

Bullshit

Again, like ERS, the whole deck is passed out evenly among the players. Each person lays down certain cards in order, the first person would lay down however many aces they have for example, and it continues around the circle until someone is the first person to lay down all of their cards. If you suspect someone of laying down something they don't have, you can call BS. If they were indeed lying, they have to pick up the whole pile. If they weren't, however, you have to pick up the whole pile.

6. Rummy

Rummy

Honestly, I always instantly forget how to play Rummy as soon as I'm finished playing it. I don't know why, it's just unfortunately a very forgettable game. Here's a detailed explanation of the process of Rummy:

How to Play Rummy

7. Spoons

Spoons

Spoons is probably the most fast-paced game that's listed. Players are given four cards each, one less spoon than there are players are set in front of everyone, and cards from the deck are passed around the group until someone obtains 4 of the same number or face and grabs a spoon.

8. Euchre

Euchre

Played with four people, Euchre is probably the most complicated game on this list. I don't think I can fluently explain how to play it in only a few sentences, so I'll leave that to a quick Google search that led me to this website explaining it in as much detail as you'll need:

How to Play Euchre for Dummies

9. Secret Hitler

Secret Hitler

Shown in the main picture for this article as well, Secret Hitler is the most fun I've ever had during game night with my friends. The only downside is that you have to have at least five people to play. Upside is that it's an absolute blast. Basically, everyone gets an identity and role card (shown in the envelopes above), liberal, fascist, or Hilter. During each round, a president and chancellor are elected, and they pass laws that are either fascist or liberal. Fascists win if 6 laws are passed, or if Hitler is elected chancellor after 3 of their laws are passed. Liberals win by killing Hitler or by passing 5 laws of their own.

10. Ticket to Ride

Ticket to Ride

Although I've only played this a handful of times, I enjoyed myself every time. Ticket to Ride is a game where each player tries to build their own railroads from one destination to another while also trying to use as little tracks as possible.

There are quite a few games that I didn't put on this list because I haven't gotten a chance to play them yet, but I can honestly say I have had the chance to try all these ones out at least a few times. Hopefully, I have the opportunity to discover more that open new doors of fun and excitement.