The Final Season Of Game Of Thrones Wasn't As Bad As You Think

The Final Season Of 'Game Of Thrones' Wasn't As Bad As Everyone Says

Warning: Season Eight spoilers ahead!

50

Well, eight years and eight seasons later, Game of Thrones has come to an end.

It's been a long time coming, and honestly, when I say eight years it's kind of hard to believe because it feels like so much longer. I didn't start watching until I was about fourteen, for obvious reasons, and once I did it was the only show I watched religiously, and I never missed an episode. Every Sunday at 9 p.m., I was camped out in front of my TV ready to see what was going to happen next. It was, without a doubt, my favorite show.

That being said, once the final season was over and I saw the uproar from other fans – people petitioning to have the entire season remade and things of that nature – I truly was appalled, and a little aggravated.
I'm the last person to declare that the final season was perfect. I definitely had my problems, as a writer, with some of the character arcs and the rushed plot points for sure. I also thought back a lot to previous moments in the story that were supposedly important, that ended up going nowhere – like Jon being a Targaryen and Arya serving the faceless God only to use her ability once or twice.

It does sort of bother me that this season was only six episodes as well because I feel that if there were ten episodes – like there usually is – they would've been able to wrap up the character arcs more fluidly. For example, they could've actually played out Jaime's decision to return to Cersei rather than it coming out of nowhere after his apparent redemption. And, they wouldn't have needed to use a time jump mid-episode after Daenerys's death – they could've just ended the episode there and started a new one.

But, in truth, no show is perfect, and as much as the audience is the beneficiary of the show, the writers are not producing and creating it's content to please everyone. With a show like Game of Thrones that's been running for so long, it's bound to happen that everyone is going to have a different idea of how they want the story to end and petitioning to remake it is not only ridiculous but futile, because like I said you can't please everyone.

Remaking the season would only shift the distaste from one faction of fans to another. It's bewildering to me to think that these fans who have loved this show for seven seasons under the same two writers are now in an uproar over the last six episodes just because it didn't end the way they wanted it to. It's almost childish to me when I think about it.

With all that being said, yes it wasn't perfect, and I'm not necessarily content with how the plot evolved into the ending, but the ending was just fine for me, and I couldn't think of a better ending beside one that would be cliché and expected. Bran was the least deserving of the throne, and that's why he'll make such a good ruler. Sansa was fiercely independent and protective over the north, so it makes sense that she would secede and become her own kingdom in the north. I could not think of a better ending than the Starks being on top. Of course, I'm not happy with absolutely everything, but like Ramsey Bolton said, if you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.