Some Say The Friends You Make Your First Weekend Of College Don't Last, But One Semester Later They're My Support Group

The semester is finally over. I couldn't have done it without my peeps.

7

Phew, what a semester. From being on the verge of a breakdown to being so happy I could puke, this semester put me through the wringer. Though it was anything but easy, I would not have been able to make it without my people.

Some say that Welcome Weekend friends don't last. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is entirely false.

I met my entire friend group on Welcome Weekend. We were all in the same boat, and that was comforting...even though the boat was on fire and sinking. We adjusted to college life together. All of us. We ate horrible dining hall food for the first time, and we did it together. We cried and cuddled together.

These may seem like day-to-day activities for us now, but during that time they meant the world. It meant the world to have people that understood what I was going through. It meant even more that I wasn't alone.

From family issues, existential crises, changing majors, and failing classes: We have been through it ALL. Having a safe support system in this big scary world can make all the difference. We took our first steps into adulthood at the same university. We will always have that in common.

I never thought that I would love a group of people so quickly and easily. Love is a very serious word. Often overused, but it is the only way to describe the dynamic of my friend group. Our love for each other is so great. No matter the conflict, we always gravitate back to one another. We value each other's individuality and uniqueness, even the little quirks that irritate our souls.

Long story short, hold onto the friends you make your first week of college. They may be some of the best things that have ever happened to you. This was my experience.

If you guys are reading this, know that I love you dearly and cannot wait to start another semester with you beautiful people.