An Open Letter To The Struggling Second-Semester Freshman
College

To The College Freshma Still Struggling At The Start Of Second Semester, You're Not Alone

Comparing yourself to those around you will not help you adjust any faster. If anything, it will hold you back from working on yourself and figuring out exactly who you want to be and what you want to do.

90

College is a difficult transition. You are coming into this new environment where you may really not know anyone and the classes are much harder than they were in high school. You're learning to become more independent, living in a dorm away from your parents. There is so much involved in coming to college, and it really is not the easiest thing for everyone.

This time of year, spring semester is starting. The weather is cold and gloomy, and you have to force yourself to get back into the swing of things after having such a long break. For some, the fall semester was not the easiest. Not everyone made their core group of friends just yet. In fact, not everyone made even more than just one friend or a few acquaintances. Dealing with the change in educational pace, as well as a social scene that a lot of us may not be used to, it hard. You feel so much pressure to do well, make friends, and have a good time, that sometimes you end up never doing any of the above because of how difficult it may be.

Now, with the spring semester, everyone is coming back to the same dorm room they left behind for winter break. There is less adjusting to do, considering we are all just moving back in. But, there is still the same feeling we left behind for winter break. Pressure, loneliness, a struggle to find exactly who we are supposed to be when we finally find ourselves independent from our parents.

To every college freshman who still finds themselves struggling coming back into the spring semester, you are not alone. There are so many others like you out there who may not have had the picture-perfect college experience this early in the game. There are so many others who are still adjusting but find themselves feeling down as they watch those who have adjusted quicker navigate through this time.

Not everyone is the same. Some people are more outgoing while some people keep to themselves more. Some people have insecurities that hold them back to much, while others have found a way to push them aside. Everyone is different and that is why comparison kills. Comparing yourself to those around you will not help you adjust any faster. If anything, it will hold you back from working on yourself and figuring out exactly who you want to be and what you want to do.

Just know that if you are coming into the spring semester of your freshman year in college and are still struggling in any aspect, that you are not alone. While you may think all these people around you were capable of instantly adjusting, you are wrong. They may be internally fighting struggles you are not even aware of. Just know there are so many more people like you than you think. Coming to college is a learning curve, and it is one not everyone finds themselves taking to easily. It is time for us to not be so hard on ourselves, and realize that all good things take time.