How To Stay Focused In Class

How To Stay Focused In Class

Any class that you have back to back can be tiring and exhausting…

6935
How To Stay Focused In Class
http://thechronicleofeducation.com/2016/05/03/three-focusing-activities-engage-students-first-five-minutes-class/

....especially on Tuesday/Thursday classes are long and can be very difficult to focus on. Those classes are important to pay attention and not miss because there is so much information that is given out. Here are some ways to stay focused in class:

1)  Bring Water and a Snack 

Especially in this heat, it is SO IMPORTANT to carry a water bottle with you at all times! Bring your favorite snack to munch one because lectures can make your hungry! Keep in mind people around you who have food allergies: the most common is a nut allergy to be conscientious about that. Go to Chick, Subway, or Panda to fill it up with some nice cold water!

2) Take Handwritten Notes  

Even though you may not "need to know the material" taking hand written notes will help you remember the material and keep yourself from getting distracted. Be creative with your notes, make them colorful. Write down anything that interests you or you can use later. Taking handwritten notes will allow you to be prepared for any pop quizzes or tests the teachers give you in class.

3) Participate 

Participation MATTERS! It may be only 2.5 points, but it will all add up and matter at the end of the semester. When a teacher asks you an open-ended question, don't be afraid to share your opinions. This is a good chance for you to get your teacher and for your teacher to get to know you.

4) Take occasional “bathroom breaks

Sitting in a classroom for almost two hours can be hard to focus. Some teachers go straight through without a break and that could be taxing so go "take a break" Make sure it isn't too long, but 5 minutes wouldn't hurt anyone.

5) Get a good night’s rest the night before. 

It can be so tempting to go on a late-night run to Dutch Bros, but if you have an early morning class the next day, don't do it. I totally get it…making memories with friends and that is so important but if you over do it and burn yourself out, you won't be able to do as well in school as you can. This will affect what you learn and your GPA and for some more than others, your GPA matters. Everyone's GPA's matter, but if you are in a technical field, your GPA is critical.

6) Eat Breakfast  

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it is. You can't start a day full of energy if you haven't eaten a good breakfast. This doesn't have to be huge, but it should be something like a granola bar or an apple. Put something in your stomach so you aren't distracted during class thinking about all the food on campus. It is always important to be prepared because those lines now are always so long so time when you eat so you aren't late to class.