Five Strong Woman Artists Who Have Grown Since My Childhood

These are five major women I have admired or come to admire to this day.

34
https://pixabay.com/en/people-girls-women-friends-smile-2596150/

A lot of us idol famous artists, singers, or actors from a very young age. I wanted to post this during Women's Week but didn't have the chance. However, I think it's important nonetheless to acknowledge when people have grown and have gotten better over time. Whether they started off at a low point or at a point that was decent. These are five major women I have admired or come to admire to this day.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Lady Gaga's Grammy Speech Gives Us An Important Reminder Instagram: @jazzzemelevofficial

Lady Gaga is a powerhouse of creativity and inspiration. She started off as a huge star and now will be known for the ages for her wide variety of music and charisma. She has made a name for herself and has even been in a movie! I loved her album with Just Dance when I was a little girl and I love her now for her maturity. Her will to try different styles of music instead of just staying within her comfort zone and doing well is awe-inspiring. I love her art and I can't wait to see what else she plans to do in the future. She has amazed me time and time again throughout my life and I am sure she will continue to do so in the future.

2. Miley Cyrus

Youtube

Even though I was not a huge fan of Miley Cyrus when she first premiered on the Disney Channel in Hannah Montana, I am very impressed with how she has come back from her low points in life. She went through a rough journey and I admire her for coming back and trying again to make music and even collaborate with her sister and other artists like Dua Lupa. I definitely support her raising above the challenges she has faced and learning to create a brand new image and life for herself.

3. Katy Perry

Youtube

When I was a kid, Hot n' Cold came out one day and I was immediately intrigued with this song. It was catchy and fun along with the music video. As years went on, I still liked her songs until she started kind of losing her stride a bit. It isn't bad when artists try to continue with a new path that fans don't necessarily connect with and that gives Katy Perry that much more character. Despite that, she might have taken on a slightly different material or tried new things that didn't necessarily work, when I saw her song "I Want to Wear White", I felt so happy for her. For a time I wasn't sure what was going on in her life that made her music a little less than what I was used to growing up. Yet, when I heard these lyrics and watched the video to her song, I felt something from her music I hadn't felt growing up. This kind of change makes me anticipate what more she will want to do in the future.

4. P!nk

File:P!nk - V2017 Hylands Park Chelmsford - Saturday 19th August ... commons.wikimedia.org

I love P!nk ever since she came out. From her punk-like attitude to her daring stunts on stage while performing. She, like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, is trying to push the envelope on creativity and conveying messages to audiences. However, what I have learned to appreciate from P!nk is that she initially was forced by the music industry to be more "girly" and less herself as she says in one of her earlier songs. I was shocked when I found this out and angered that the industry would try to put down this awesome woman. I admire her for her courage and for standing up for herself during the time. As for her music, she has been writing great works ever since I was a kid and I continue to love her heart-felt and sometimes blunt attitude towards life.

5. Kesha

Youtube

As a kid, when I listened to Tik Tok and Die Young, I loved the party music and the vibe it gave off. However, when she wrote Praying, I wasn't aware till one of my friends told me that she was also abused and assaulted by her manager and the music industry to be a "party girl". My heart went out to her during that time and I am glad that she was able to get out of her situation finally after so long and continues to do what she loves. But even more so, her song Praying was so powerful. The message of forgiveness despite what was done to her was so overwhelming that I felt her pain deep within me. Kesha, despite being known as the party girl, was more mature and thoughtful than anyone could've thought possible. That makes her journey even more admirable.