The First Thanksgiving Part 4

The First Thanksgiving Part 4

This is the telling of the First Thanksgiving celebrated by the Pilgrims - as best as I can tell it!

48
The First Thanksgiving Part 4
Fanshare

This is the last part in my 4 part telling of the Thanksgiving story. If you missed the other parts just click my name at the top of the page and you can read my other articles there!

The fall of 1621 the Pilgrims harvested more than enough crops to see them through the upcoming winter. In October, Governor William Bradford declared a day of public thanksgiving. This was a day set aside to thank God for all he had done for them. Chief Massasoit was invited to the celebration – the Indians as a whole were not invited, this day was not to thank them, but God – but the chief came and he brought with him 90 of his tribe to celebrate with the Pilgrims. Feeding 90 more people would have cut into the food supply the Pilgrims and worked to put aside for the winter months. But Chief Massasoit had given orders that their men should bring food to join the celebration. They brought with them 5 dressed dear and a dozen wild turkeys. That combined with the vegetables the Pilgrims has was enough to feed them all. The celebration lasted 3 days and with the food the Indians brought with them a great feast was had. Tradition holds that this is when the Indians introduced the Englishmen to popcorn. The Pilgrims thanked God for meeting their needs. They competed with the Indians in shooting contests, organized by Captain Miles Standish. They had wrestling matches and races. It was a time for prayers of Thanksgiving and enjoying those around them.

This is the account of the 1st Thanksgiving. Information came from The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and History of Plymouth Plantation by William Bradford

Throughout this story we see God working on behalf of His children. He was preparing the land and the people that the Pilgrims would need to survive in this New World years before they landed. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” This verse does not say that all thigs are good, but that they can be used for good IF we are faithful. There were many, many things that were not good throughout this story; but we also see a group of people who were called according to His purpose. This group of people were faithful in all they did and God took care of them. As you celebrate this Thanksgiving remember that no matter where you are if you will be faithful in what God as called you to, no matter if you are surrounded by good or bad is all you see right now, that HE IS WORKING ON YOUR BEHALF!!!! He has been for ions past and you can rest in knowing He will use this for your good.

Happy Thanksgiving

SIDE NOTE: the image you have in your brain of the Pilgrims wearing black and white clothing is wrong. Those were the Puritans. The Pilgrims wore bright, fun clothing. We know this through death records. When someone in Plymouth would die they would write down, in detail, their possessions. Here are partial records for 3 different people:

Woman: 2 violet waist coats, 3 blue aprons, red petticoat, violet petticoat, blue stockings.

William Brewster (church elder): green pants, blue suit, violet cape

William Bradford: green gown, red waist coat