Finding the Right Career

Finding the Right Career

Which Path is the Right One?

29
Finding the Right Career

As it gets closer to the end of month, and classes are in sight, one might begin to think of their future. The classes we are taking are supposed to help "train" us for our future careers. But what if you're taking the wrong classes? Coming into college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. There are far too many options when it comes to career choices, so, picking just one? That seemed almost impossible. In four years, I couldn't even tell you the amount of times I changed my mind.

I began with Early Childhood Education, then to Criminal Justice, Nursing for a brief moment, Psychology. I even thought about going Pre-Med at one point, then there was the law school option, and I looked into getting into the Vet-Sci program at school. It took me three years to realize that I had a passion for food and that I wanted to make a career out of it. After a degree in Child Development, I decided I should stop wasting time and take classes that would help me towards my degree and goals. Because I already had so many credits, it made more sense for me to get my Liberal Arts degree and then go back to school (again) for Restaurant and Food Service Management .

Picking a career is hard. You're stuck with it for the rest of your life, most of the time. So, if you aren't happy, it can be really straining on you physically, mentally, and emotionally. With all of the options that are out there, picking just ONE thing to do can be difficult. But there are resources that can be very helpful when trying to make a decision. I strongly suggest taking a BOCES course while you're in high school. There are so many to choose from--even if you are unsure, just pick one. In Early Childhood, you play with kids all day. In Culinary you play with food all day. In Automotive/Auto body you play with cars all day. In Cosmetology you play with hair and nails all day. Through BOCES, you are able to gain experience in the field, with hands-on interaction and in-class lectures.

Take an aptitude test or two...or ten. They are not all accurate, and some of them are total trash, but you may stumble across something really helpful in the process. You might come across a career that you have never thought of, of even heard of before, that seems really cool to you.

Starting off school with liberal arts isn't a bad thing. When people say they're going to school for Liberal Arts, they are often asked things like, "So you plan on being unemployed?" or "Do you want fries with that?" BEING A LIBERAL ARTS STUDENT IS NOT BAD. It's a gateway into literally every other major. When you're a Liberal Arts major, the sky is the limit. Every major needs the same pre-recs. So, once you get that out of the way, you are free to take ANY class that you want. Take a business class, take an art class, take a cooking class, take a yoga class, take an automotive class (I'm actually not sure if people are allowed to do that). But just take any and as many classes as you can.

Being a Liberal Arts major can be so helpful. Your schedule is opened for so many options. It really allows you to explore and hopefully find your passion. Not that I think anyone has a passion for accounting, some people just go where the money is. BUT if you are trying to find a passion and a career you love, this might be one of your best bets.

Finding a career is hard. I keep saying that because it's true. Everyone deserves to be happy and find something that makes them happy. Sometimes it's not so easy to find something, but sometimes it is very easy. It is also important to start looking early enough and giving yourself time. Talk to your adviser in high school and go to counseling sessions for college. It is definitely worth it.