How To Manage Financial Stress
Life Stages

Financial Worries? I Got You Covered

Tuition is increasing, but there are resources to help you afford your degree.

52
Financial Worries? I Got You Covered

College is expensive. That's a given fact in modern society. Seton Hall University is exceptional, though, as the tuition and housing can be over $50,000 a year! That's a staggering amount of money and it rightfully worries many people. How will I pay for this? How much debt will I go into? Is there a way to overcome this? Not to worry, my dear reader, as there are options for you.

First off, scholarships. Scholarships are a great tool to reduce your overall cost. There are resources available for you to use such as Fastweb.com, which lists MILLIONS of scholarships. If you want something more local, the Seton Hall financial website offers scholarships as well. Just like other scholarships outside of the school, they base it on your financial need and academics. The point is, there are so many scholarships out there and it is worth it to try and apply. A big tip with your scholarship search is that applying should ALWAYS be free. If a scholarship has an application fee, pass it along and apply somewhere else.

Secondly, there are grants. Grants are money that the federal or state government gives you to go to school. This absolutely goes to your education and you do not ever have to pay it back. It's like a gift and definitely not a loan. The federal Pell Grant is the most common grant out there and it varies based on you and your family's finances. State grants work under the same principle, but while Pell Grants are either awarded or not based on completion of your FAFSA, state grants may have separate application processes. Check NJ's grant page to see if there are grants you can apply for and start your applications today! The sooner the better to reap the benefits.

Lastly, finding employment may ease your financial burden. I know finding a job isn't easy, especially ones that pay above minimum wage, but working part-time may help you pay for textbooks or even partly chip away at tuition. The local shops and restaurants in South Orange are generally friendly to Seton Hall students and larger stores like Stop n Shop are always hiring. Also, if you qualify for Federal Work Study, apply to any and all jobs available on campus. Federal Work Study is when you are awarded a set amount of money to be paid to you if you get a job on campus. The money can be used in any way by you and is paid to you like every other job outside of campus. The trick is to get employed, so when you send your applications out, reach out to those departments, reminding them if they saw your application. As mentioned before, finding a job isn't easy but it can help you and your overall financial cost.

Overall, affording college is stressful but there are resources and aid to help you better afford it. It definitely isn't easy but searching for additional financial aid and reaching out for help are ways that can make reaching that degree a reality for you.