motivation

Meet The Next Film Neurologist

Check out why I am the next film neurologist

34
Meet The Next Film Neurologist

For most of my college career, I have been able to dodge most science-based classes. However, this last semester, I finished my psychology minor and decided to gain a concentration on cognitive development because of my love for mental health reform. With the decision, I was informed that I must complete a neuroscience course with a grade of 80 or above to be able to gain this concentration. I basically kissed that extra degree goodbye for a solid two weeks. But then I took a look at myself, why couldn't I excel in film, television and script writing and also be decently good at completing neurology work. I guess I was going to find out.

As I started the course, I became so overwhelmed that I thought about quitting multiple times, but for some strange reason, I simply didn't. I decided I'd give myself a fair chance to prove myself, to no one but me. I decided to dedicate everything to this course. I devoted hours and hours to studying for small assignments and things of that nature just to merely get by. After spending hours on a 100-word assignment and barely receiving a grade of C, I pretty much figured I was overall and completely defeated.

My first exam was only a few weeks away and I felt like I would simply be wasting my time to study for this test. For some strange reason, I decided to attempt to take the exam and I made myself a promise. I promised myself that if I didn't do well on this exam, then I would allow myself to drop the class and back out of the concentration of cognitive development. If I did well, even though the percentage chance of me being able to score a B or higher on this exam, I told myself I would stick through it and continue working hard to gain the overall grade in the course.

The day of the test came and I was terrified. I stayed up all night studying, reviewing, making outlines and index cards and preparing as best as I could for my exam. I studied all week before the test for a few hours every night and I studied for twelve hours straight the night before the test. As I arrived at my classroom, I felt like I would blank as I saw the test, despite my hardworking tendencies to study. When the tests were passed out, I took the test and it felt like I answered the questions in seconds, but it took me around ninety minutes to complete it. This was the time allotted to do so and most of my classmates took this long as well, so it wasn't a big deal. I walked out of my classroom, after handing in my test, absolutely terrified.

I thought that I must've gotten a sixty at most, but I didn't let it get to me. I knew my anxiety would take over me if I thought about my grade until they were distributed, next class. It took a while, but the next Tuesday morning my professor released the grades and not only did I pass, but I got a 90%, a grade of an A. I was completely shocked and so proud of myself. I proved to myself that I can do anything if I put my mind to it and I taught myself that entertaining the idea of a career in the artistic field doesn't limit you to one specific area of knowledge. Challenge yourself and don't be afraid to dip your toes in the water you've never swum in, because maybe you won't drown!