5 Ways To Fight The Midterm Blues

5 Ways To Fight The Midterm Blues

You may already know how to handle the midterm season, but if you don't or want to refresh yourself, hopefully, some of the pointers help you out!

72
5 Ways To Fight The Midterm Blues
House Beautiful Magazine

Want to hear a word that may just be as cringe-worthy as "Finals"? Well there is, and I am sure many of you current or alumni students know what I am talking about...Midterms.

So, midterms make you questions whether you are doing what you are supposed to in school, and of course the other important aspects, such as do I need to be staying up later, do I need to be drinking more frappuccinos, or should I just tread in the papers and test notes?

Well, my good friends, have no fears! You should not be staying up all hours of the night studying for those exams and then you can enjoy another episode of Supernatural! We all know that Midterms can be just as stressful, if not, more than our Final exams. Just remember that it is the half point of the semester and that you may just be overreacting and that you are doing just fine. If you know that you are having difficulties, just remember that it is still the half point of the semester and that there are ways to make up assignments or communicate that you are having difficulties.

You may already know how to handle the midterm season, but if you don't or want to refresh yourself, hopefully, some of the pointers help you out.

1. Talking It Out.

Never be afraid or hesitate to talk with your teacher or your professor. They are here to help you, and instead of being confused and not asking questions, or you just don't ask questions. Try emailing or approaching your professor, and make an appointment to discuss what the problem may be. That way you can throw away your doubts if you are doing alright. If you are having doubts, the professor with tell you upfront what you are able to do to fix your grade so you can pass.

2. EXTRA CREDIT!!

If you are able to, never pass up the opportunity to miss an extra credit assignment. Usually, your teacher or professor will let the class know ahead of time if there will be an extra credit assignment, which could be watching a film, doing an extra assignment or going to an event that may relate to the class. If you find something that may relate to the class, such as something on the news you want to write about, or a volunteering event, that is a prime opportunity to earn at least 10 extra credit points!

3. Taking Notes.

I know this one may sound obvious, but I feel that it is never wrong to reiterate this point. Some people may not be a fan of taking notes, and even if your teacher/professor does not direct you to take notes, it is still a good idea just because the information will sink in because you have written it down. Even verbally repeating your notes when you are studying it a helpful tool. so grab a notebook, your favorite pen! (or your tablet or electronic device if allowed).

4. Form a study group.

As an English major, I like to look at my notes and relate the historical context that is relevant to the time period of literature. It's nice to have a group of people that are in the same class with you to help you understand the technical side of literature, or whatever the subject you may be studying for. It is also a good idea to study with people outside of your circle of friends, because there is a pretty good chance you will get distracted by cat videos or jokes, but if you are able to, hey more power to you!

5. Your support group.

Never feel you don't have a group of people telling you that its ok to take a break, its ok to relax and breathe. These people want you to not stress over something that may not be as bad as it seems. There is so much hype to the time that leads up to Midterms. I will tell you for a fact that many professors don't go out of their way for a midterm paper or project. In high school, I felt that the teachers were more serious about midterms and made students feel more worried than they should be. But in college, midterms can be a passing thing and usually you just go about doing normal assignments and before you know it, midterms will pass in the blink of an eye!

Hakuna Matata!