Evolution of Going to Summer Camp

Evolution of Going to Summer Camp

As I've grown up, summer camp has stayed fun for different reasons

As a high school or college student, you probably have gone to several overnight summer camps over the course of your life. Going to these summer camps are very fun, but I have found that they have become fun for different reasons as I have grown older. When I was younger, the sleeping over was the fun part of camp, but now the day parts are the most fun.

When I first went to an overnight summer camp at the age of 8, I did not care at all about what I was doing all day. At camp, I was just excited to be able to sleepover instead of going home. I felt so old for going to camp and it felt great. I mean at that time in my life, an all-nighter sleepover would easily be the highlight of my week. Now a day, a sleepover is no big deal… it’s just a way to lazily avoid having to drive home the night of a party. Anyways, at that time sleepovers were just the best.

I just got back from a camp three days ago. The camp I went to was a running camp for elite high school runners. Other teenagers may go to soccer camp or football camp or drama camp or any other special camp. If you asked a teenager what their favorite part of camp was, they would probably say the activity or being with friends, but most likely they wouldn’t say the sleeping over. I go to camp because I like to run and I like to bond with my friends while eating good food. I do not obsess over the fact that I am away from home or that I can buy shirts and jewelry without my parents stopping me. I miss my family, but I do not lay awake at night with the dull ache of homesickness. As a teenager, I feel camp is less about the petty freedoms and more about the true itinerary of camp.

When I look back on when I used to go to camp as a younger kid, I remember being around older girls and thinking they were doing the same things as me. Now I know that I was pretty wrong. As a younger camper I would go to day trips horseback riding or to the zoo and I thought that those days were so cool. Now I would think those small trips were short and lame. A more interesting choice now is a week running or a week at the boundary waters. As I grew up, I found that I always wanted greater adventures and experiences. I lost my obsession with sleeping over and freedom to choose my clothes and small purchases and I found my love for real activities.

Over the years going to camp has changed its value. I still love going to summer camps as much as I did as a younger version of myself, but now I enjoy it for different reasons. I am more used to being alone in the world so now I am more focused on adventure and friends than simply being away from home. Either way, no matter the age, going to summer camp is a great way to spend the summer.