Everything I Need To Know About Life I Learned From "Animal House"

In honor of Stephen Furst, we take a look back at his most memorable film "Animal House" and discuss the movie's life lessons

308
GableCinema.com

As you may know, Stephen Furst, best known for his role as Kent "Flounder" Dorfman in 1978's Animal House, passed away this Saturday, June 17, at the early age of 63. Furst's two sons, Nathan and Griffith Furst, broke the news over the weekend in a heartfelt Facebook post.

"To truly honor him, do not cry for the loss of Stephen Furst," the sons stated. "But rather, enjoy memories of all the times he made you snicker, laugh, or even snort to your own embarrassment. He intensely believed that laughter is the best therapy, and he would want us to practice that now."

To respect Furst's wishes, we should celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss. We can honor Furst best by re-watching Animal House. You'll laugh, laugh some more... and if you're searching for the secrets on how to live a good life, you'll find it here!

You doubt? Please keep reading for the morals we can take away from Animal House.

1. Be polite when introducing yourself

As someone who is a natural-born introvert, socializing has never been easy for me. It can be hard to step out of your comfort zone, but the best thing you can do is put a smile on your face and say "Hi!" It may be difficult at first and come off as awkward, but don't worry. It's all a part of building a solid circle of friends.

2. Make a bold entrance

This goes back to introducing yourself politely. If you're a bit more courageous than I am and want to come off as adventurous, walk into a party (or school or work for that matter), with your head held high and wear a face that says, "I'm here, let the good times roll." If you do it properly as depicted above, no one will mess with you.

3. Express yourself

Everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, and that includes you. Don't be afraid to act on your own ideas. When you speak up for yourself, there will be those who don't agree with you, but there will also be those who are in awe of you and want to be like you. Continue to voice your opinions and you may just end up saving the world from a horrible torment (like bad music).

4. Take the time to unwind and relax

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say life is hard, I'd be able to retire. Fortunately, there is a method to make life seem less hard: Relax. Everyone has different ways to take the edge off, be it reading, exercising, or even simply taking a nap. Whatever strategy works for you, do it! (NOTE: If your strategy for relaxation involves drinking heavily, please do so responsibly).

5. Study so hard you make the teacher embarrassed

Education is the key to the future, especially today in the age of information. Stay in school, stay on top of things, and you'll go far.

6. Never, EVER give up

Nothing comes easy, but it won't get any easier if you simply stop trying. Don't worry about how others have achieved success, think about how you can achieve success right now. Life is only as challenging as you make it to be, so don't make it that way!

7. Be there for others in times of crisis

Remember how I said life is hard? Well, I also meant that it's hard for others too. When the going gets tough for your friends, make an effort to be there for them. No one can get through life alone, and having a shoulder to rely on is essential.

8. Take the time to laugh at the little things

The world is a wonderful, ridiculous place. It can only be seen in such a way if we slow down and observe it more closely. Your sense of optimism and curiosity will increase greatly if you notice things that you once overlooked.

9. Make epic fashion choices

How you dress should reflect your personality. Dressing up is fine and all, but I'm of the mindset that you should wear who you are. Do things that make you comfortable and confident. Who cares if you look ridiculous?

10. And above all, be a leader

Don't let anyone stand in your way of being awesome. Never blend into the crowd, always try to stand out. March forward into happiness, and bring others along with you.