You Should Give Rush A Chance, Even If You Don’t End Up Joining

It's a long process, but so worth it.

121
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/11/13/636461951472031629-1051554859_Zeta-Tau-Alpha-1024x681.jpg

Some girls are 100% certain going into school that they want to join a sorority, and that’s awesome. But for the girls who aren’t really sure about the whole process, this is for you. I was once in your shoes, but I promise it is all worth it in the end.

“I can’t picture you in a sorority,” is a phrase I heard so many times before leaving for college. Just because you join a sorority doesn’t mean that you’re going to become the stereotypical “sorority girl,” so do not let this sway your decision.

Rushing a sorority was one of the things that helped me feel the most comfortable getting settled at school. For two weeks, or whatever amount of time you rush for, you’re surrounded by girls in the same position as you. Most of the girls are freshman, but there are also some sophomores and juniors mixed in there. It makes things easier to know that you’re not the one person trying to find their place at school.

My advice to you is to go into rush without knowing anything about the sororities and the girls you’re about to meet. This was honestly the best thing I could’ve done. Going into rush with an open mind fully allows you to get to know the girls and what their main motives and goals are within the sorority. The phrase “don’t judge a book by its cover” seriously applies to this situation.

The whole process honestly made me learn a lot about myself. With every girl I talked to I was able to tell what kind of girls I get along with. Of course, every girl you meet will be nice, but there will be a few that stick out amongst the rest. These are the girls that you want to surround yourself with in the end. Don’t consume yourself with the notion that you need to be in the “best” sorority. In the end, these are the girls that you will spend most, if not all, of your time with. Be true to yourself.

Despite what people may think about sororities, there is a lot more to joining one than people think. Every sorority has a philanthropy that they support and raise money for throughout the school year. With every sorority that you meet, you will find out what cause they advocate for.

This was one of the coolest parts about rushing because I learned about different foundations and causes that I had never heard of before.

Even if you don’t end up joining, rushing really is a great experience. Although the days are long and you probably won’t have a voice by the end of it, it truly is worth it. You’re going to meet some of your best friends throughout the process. It is very special to be a part of something that is bigger than just your school.