Why Everyone Needs A Break From Social Media

Taking a break from social media is just what the doctor ordered to live a happier life.

11

I know people hear this time and time again, but it really is true -- we should all take breaks from social media from time to time. Obviously that's easier said than done (what's so difficult about putting your phone down, am I right?) but I recently had a break not only from all of my social media, but from my phone, too. Although this is a very "first-world" problem to have, it still should be addressed.

My phone recently broke and I was required to go without for two weeks while I waited for the replacement to be sent to me. What I realized in the absence of my cellular device was actually very interesting -- I enjoyed life more without it. Without having something constantly in my hand or in my pocket, I was able to forget about having to worry about where my phone was, if it was charged, who was texting me, and it was a nice change of pace. As a result of not having a phone, it was pretty difficult for me to access social media. At first, I was afraid of missing a post that everyone would be talking about, but then I came to realize that I really do not care about most of the people I follow on social media. So why does it matter if I miss a post or two? It doesn't.

Also, the longer I stayed off social media, the less I thought about it. I no longer was concerned about having a great Snapchat story or Instagram post. Instead, I was more concerned with the things that were actually happening in front of me. I paid greater attention to where I went and who I was with. I appreciated spending quality time with my best friends more. I no longer felt like I was connected to every person on the globe and that feeling was exhilarating. I was able to concentrate on my experiences rather than on the best way to document them. People do not realize how much more interesting life is when you actually pay attention to the details of it. Instead of feeling the need to post a picture of everything I did and everyone I was with, I made memories with people that I love that I'll have forever, even without that Instagram post.

Life is invigorating and it is a great shame that so many of us have been sucked into the constant competition to prove whose life is the best by documenting everything that happens to us. Life is beautiful; it is a wonderful thing to experience. We are not truly experiencing life when our first priority is to snap a picture and send it to everyone we know. Yes, taking a picture and posting it takes a matter of seconds; however, most of life's pleasures happen in the blink of an eye. If we do not experience and treasure what is right in front of us, while it is in front of us, then we have truly missed out. So, take a break once in a while. Appreciate the beauty of life while it is right in front of you.