Explaining Enneagram Test Results

How The Enneagram Test May Help You Help Yourself

The Enneagram is a personality test that many use to help better understand themselves.

172
https://unsplash.com

The Enneagram is a personality test that many use to help better understand themselves. I was introduced to this by a friend a few months ago, and it has given me more insight on myself. The results break down into nine different types and knowing which type your friend, family member, or coworker is can give you better insight on how best to care for them.

I personally am a Type 2 with Type 1 and Type 3 as the wings. Type 2 is known as "The Helper" and is described as, "the caring interpersonal type: generous, demonstrative, people-pleasing, and possessive." The wings are just as important, meaning while I did not match up exactly as these, I showed a lot of characteristics of these types as well. Type 1 is known as "The Reformer" and is described as, "the rational, idealistic type: principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic." Type 3 is "The Achiever" and is known as, "the success-oriented, pragmatic type: adaptive, excelling, driven, and image-conscious." I am able to recognize these characteristics in my own life.

I can definitely see myself as a Type 2. I like to think of myself as a helpful person who loves other people. However, I also recognize how much I like to please others. There have been instances where I have cared more about other people's opinions than what I should have. I would much rather work with people in a small group type setting as opposed to a larger group. That makes sense as to what college major I picked. I enjoy caring for others, and many of my friends have described me as a nurturing and compassionate person. Overall, I strive to be a positive, uplifting person.

According to The Enneagram Institute, a type two with a one-wing is referred to as a "servant." I would much rather serve others than myself for the most part. I have learned throughout my life that I am not always the most important person, and I try to live that way. Course a lot of that servant mentality comes from my faith and recognizing that the King of Kings served during His earthly life, so why should I not be expected to do the same?

As for characteristics of Type 1, I am a conscientious person and always strive to do the right thing. Perfectionism has been a character trait of mine for most of my life, whether I like it or not. I noticed during my undergraduate years that I almost appear to be afraid of getting something wrong. I am always looking for the one "right" answer when in reality, there are probably multiple rights answers that exist. And even when I am wrong, that is okay.

The Enneagram Institute also states that a type with a three-wing is known as a "hostess" which I find intriguing. A type three is typically really concerned with how they are portrayed to others, something that I have had a past with. I also want others to think well of me, probably more so than what I should. Success is also important to me.

Overall, I highly recommend anyone to take the Enneagram test. It really doesn't take long, and you learn about yourself. While no personality test is 100% spot on, this helped me better understand myself. 10/10 would recommend!