I'm An English Major Because I Want To Be Happy, Not Rich— Thanks For Asking, Though

As long as I'm enjoying my career, that's all that matters to me.

87
gretchjb//Instagram

Whenever I tell others what my major is, I'm typically met with confused looks. "What are you going to do with a degree like that?" "That will never make enough money."

I genuinely couldn't care less about the amount of money I am making. As long as I am on a career path that brings me joy and impacts the world in some small way, my purpose is fulfilled.

It's actually incredibly insulting to be met with unwanted pity with I speak so enthusiastically about my major. I've had parents of my friends tell their child that I'll be asking for handouts once I realize how little my job will make. I would honestly rather be struggling financially than take money from someone else, but thanks for offering.

Personally, I am an English major.

I am always very open about the fact that I have no idea what I intend to do with my major. What I know for sure is that my coursework excites me and brings me joy and motivates me. That is all I need to know that I am headed in the right direction.

What most people don't understand about English majors is that we have so many options to choose from.

We can go into careers such as digital copywriter, editorial assistant, teaching English as a foreign language, lexiographer (where you write, compile and edit dictionaries for both print and online publication ), magazine/ newspaper journalist, publishing copy-editor/ proofreader, web content manager, or just a plain old writer. Don't like any of those options? English majors can also become an academic librarian, advertising account executive, advertising copywriter, arts administrator, film director, information officer, marketing executive, PPC specialist, primary school teacher, public relations officer, records manager, secondary school teacher or social media manager. I have a lot of options for career paths, all of which I can make a living off of.

I don't need condescendence anymore and I especially do not need bragging about how your major makes more money.

In college, it doesn't really matter what your major is. We're all struggling through the years to better our futures. Why make it into some sort of weird hypothetical competition on who may or may not make more money? Are we not all fortunate enough to afford to get a higher education? Why make it more difficult? While those that belittle sit in a job that makes more money than they know what to do with while they also may not even enjoy their job, I'll be happily working on my passion and making a life from it.

I don't need input from anyone, thanks though.