The Emotional Rollercoaster That Is Back-To-School

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

11

There are few scenarios more bittersweet than the end of August and going back to college. Anxious, excited, nervous, stressed, hectic: You’re a ball of emotions. If you love being home and you love your school, here is what the bittersweet, internal conflict in your head probably looks like.

OMG, how is it already Aug. 20?! Summer flew by…

YAY it's Aug. 20! A week from right now, I’ll be all moved into my new apartment…

I only got to the beach, like, three times this month. I can actually feel my tanlines fading by the minute. It’s going to be too cold for the beach soon, nooooo…

Wait who cares if my legs aren’t tan? LEGGINGS SEASON! I can’t wait to go shopping for fall clothes. Sweaters, scarves, and boots. Not having to shave my legs everyday -- simpler times ahead.

I really should start packing, but I feel like I just finished unpacking. And I really need to finish this season on Netflix before my semester starts…

Wait a second, one week?!?! How am I supposed to get everything I need before move-in in a week?!?! SOS Must. Resist. Next. Episode.

This is one of my last home showers. This is one of my last home-cooked meals. It feels like I’m dying or something, getting emotional over water pressure…

Wait, I’m in an apartment this year. Hellooooo kitchen! I’ll definitely be able to cook all the time. Taco Tuesdays would be fun…

Who am I kidding I’m not going have time to cook?! Why did I take that sixth class? I’m so stressed and I didn’t even get the syllabus yet.

Woah, slow your roll. You do this every year; get super stressed out ahead of time but then things end up okay. It’s going to be fine…

It is totally NOT going to be fine. I’m not ready for real responsibilities yet. I didn’t even know what day of the week it was for the past three months, how am I supposed to make it to class on time?

Hello? Your awesome roommates! Once we team up we can totally get our stuff together, get organized, and get back at it.

AW YAY roommates. God, I missed those fools. Can’t wait for Sunday mornings and late night study sessions and pregames and…

Wait, but my home friends. Ugh, it finally feels like we are all caught up with each other and it's time to leave them again until what, Thanksgiving? No way! That can’t happen. They will come visit like every weekend.

Okay, realistically they aren’t coming to visit every weekend. But it's okay because we’ll see each other before we know it because time flies…

Speaking of time flying, I didn’t even do ONE of the D.I.Y. apartment projects I found on Pinterest. Oh well, I guess we can just run to Target once we’re moved in for some frames and wall art…

Wall art? I don’t even have a shower curtain picked out yet. Am I taking the same bed spread back? No it’s definitely time for a change. GREAT another thing I have to shop for…

But shopping is fun! Make a list, go to Walmart, cross things off that list- I mean, really, is there anything better than a completed to-do list?

That is true but WHEN am I doing all of this?! I literally have no time to do anything.

You literally have all the time in the world. A week is a lifetime.

A week is NOT a lifetime. I’m supposed to have lunch with my grandma, go shopping with my cousins, get a pedicure with my mom. Wait, didn’t my dad say something about going to a baseball game together? Crap, I’m not ready to leave my family.

Okay relax. You are coming home for your dentist appointment in, like, a month. And when you’re back on your own, you can finally go back to taking afternoon naps without being judged by your hardworking parents.

Ahhh yes naps. I love curling up on the couch with my pupp--wait, my pet. I have to leave my dog behind. Not okay. Why doesn’t my apartment allow furry friends?!

Yeah, but think of how happy they get when you finally do come back home?! They run to the door and you can practically see the smile under their wet noses.

That's true. And who needs furry friends with you're back at it with your school friends. Woah, has is really been thee months? That’s thee months too long. Can’t wait for the first lunch back together in the caf…

Oh God, the caf…starting to miss that home food again.

Missing home food is a small price to pay for living on your own terms. Cereal for dinner? Heck yes. Left over pizza for breakfast? Yes please. Living life on your own is sweeeeeet.

Wait, am I ready to get back to being on my own? My mom really helped out with my laundry this summer...and grocery shopping...and my dad did fill my gas tank a couple times…crap this is going to be a reality check.

Summer is over.

School is starting.

I can’t believe it.

I can’t wait.

Time flies.

….wait, when does winter break start?