Why You Should Be Watching These Emmy Nominated Drama Series

You Should Be Watching These 7 Emmy Nominated Drama Series

The 2018 Emmy Nominations are out, and the Best Drama Series nominees are bringing the heat! Check out why you should be watching these incredible shows.

23

The 2018 Emmy Nominations have been released, and they're filled with popular favorites as well as some lesser-known newcomers. Obviously, these series are the best of the best, as they have received Emmy nominations from the Television Academy. But if you aren't watching some of these shows, these are the reasons that you should be:

1. "The Americans"

This under-rated and under-appreciated FX series picked up a Best Drama Series Emmy nomination for its final season. "The Americans" is a serious series about 2 KGB agents in an arranged marriage who are undercover in the U.S. as spies. Set in the early 1980s during the Cold War, this show not only analyzes the political climate but follows the KGB agents as they get deeper into undercover missions and as the Russian husband starts to warm up to American life. Don't sleep on this incredible series!

2. "The Crown"

Queen Elizabeth II is a badass. And if you don't know, now you know. This Netflix original series chronicles the life and reign of Queen Elizabeth II, her husband Philip, and the British Monarchy. Each season is based on a decade of the Queen's rule, starting with the decade she was crowned. With true historical and political plot lines, intensely personal scenes, and the best costumes, makeup, and sets found in any show, "The Crown" never disappoints. Season 3 is on the way, so the time to binge Seasons 1 and 2 is now.

3. "Game of Thrones"

Game of Thrones is obviously wildly popular and a long time fan and Television Academy favorite, but the quality of this series cannot be overstated. If you're not already a devoted "Game of Thrones" fan, here's a quick recap that can't even begin to touch on the details of this incredible series: a few noble families fight for the power and control of the mythical land of Westeros while an ancient, powerful enemy rises to defeat them all. If you don't already watch "Game of Thrones," do it. This series is a MUST SEE.

4. "The Handmaid's Tale"

"The Handmaid's Tale" is the hit Hulu series based on Margaret Atwood's novel of the same name. This series tells the story of a totalitarian society that treats women as property and as part of the state, used to revive the society from low birth rates by using the fertile women as sex slaves to produce children. Offred, the main character trying to break the system and find her biological daughter, is your main guide through this chilling series. Although it can be scary to watch, this Emmy winning series will keep you hooked.

5. "Stranger Things"

When 12-year-old Will Byers goes missing, his mother and 3 best friends launch a full search attempt and investigation to try to locate him. What Joyce Byers and the local authorities find, however, is a full-blown sci-fi mystery that's terrorizing this small Indiana town. Come for the mystery, scientific experiments, and Millie Bobbie Brown's Eleven. Stay for the amazing character development, storytelling, and 80s references. Even if sci-fi isn't your thing, you're sure to love this Netflix original from the Duffer Brothers.

6. "This Is Us"

If you're not yet watching this tear-jerker from NBC, you're not living! This series centers on Jack and Rebecca Pearson, their triplet children, and their family's life that spans across multiple generations. At the start of the series, the characters you're introduced to all have the same birthdays but are seemingly unrelated to one another. The big reveal in the season premiere will clue you into how everyone relates to one another and how their lives intertwine.

7. "Westworld"

If you're looking for a series that will make your mind do mental gymnastics, look no further than "Westworld." This HBO drama series dives into the theme park Westworld, where humans can enjoy a fantasy world without human consequences. As you get further into this series, you'll learn that the imaginary hosts in this park are not just there for human enjoyment but play a much larger role in this series. This series will have you guessing what's fiction and what's reality. Sit back, press play, and let the twists and turns of "Westworld" blow your mind.

What are you waiting for? Get watching!