Eggs In Purgatory: A Simply Damning Recipe

Have you ever wondered to yourself if you eggs have repented their sins? Are you also hungry right now? If you answered 'yes' to any of those questions, this recipe is right for you!

18
Daulton Beck

I'm going to be straight up with you, this is not a new recipe, but it is my version of a famous version of Italian Shashuka that features tomatoes, eggs, lots of garlic, and chili flakes (aka all of my favorite things in a brunch dish!). For starters, this recipe is inspired by the great Carla Lalli Music from Bon Appetite. I had been watching many of her videos when I stumbled upon this recipe and I knew instantly I wanted to try it. So I did.

Whilst I was experimenting a little bit with this recipe, I have also come to the realization that it is a very forgiving recipe when it comes to salt. Now, don't be afraid to use a lot of salt in this recipe – the tomatoes can take much more than you think, without over-salting the dish.

Without further ado, detailed below is how I made it and how you can make it too.

You will need the following ingredients: 2-3 large eggs, 3-4 garlic cloves (depending on how large they are), 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes (or however much depending on your spice level), salt and pepper to taste, 2-3 tbsp oil of olive oil (or any neutral oil, but olive oil is the best), and 1 family pack of grape tomatoes (about 1 US dry quart or 38 oz).

The recipe is as follows:

Slice garlic into small, even slices. You can also use a mandolin (carefully), but I find it easier to slice with a small paring knife.

Crack your desired amount of eggs (I used two) in a small measuring cup. Set aside.

In a large pan, preheat oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes together, over medium high heat, until they begin to simmer and the garlic becomes fragrant.

Next, add all of the tomatoes into the garlic-pepper-oil mixture and begin to soften the tomatoes. This step requires patience, so just bear with me. As the tomatoes become softened, smash each tomato slightly to release its juices and seeds. Mix after every few tomatoes to get even cooking. Make sure every single tomato is smashed not to a pulp, but enough where you cannot squish any more juice out without pulverizing the tomato. However tedious this step is, it will make a difference between a good soft tomato and a mushy mess. After all of the tomatoes have been smashed and mixed around, drop the heat to a medium low, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

After your tomatoes have been simmering, it's time to add the eggs. Make clear places in the pan where the eggs would have contact with the pan to get them cooking. After you have created a couple wells in the tomato mixture, add your eggs, season with salt and pepper again (slightly), and cover for about 1-2 minutes, watching closely so the yolks don't overcook. Then take the pan off of the heat and you're ready to serve.

For me, I like to serve this dish over toast or a toasted bagel. I would place one half of the bread at the bottom, and put some of the tomatoes on top of that piece. Then I would add the other half and top with tomatoes and one egg.

Serve immediately and enjoy.