education system based off attendance

Our Education System Is Messed Up, But Not In The Way You May Think

Why is my grade based on my initials written in a BIC #2 mechanical pencil every other day on a printed out sign in sheet?

163
https://unsplash.com/photos/1VqHRwxcCCw

Sometimes when I'm in class I really wonder who is actually paying attention.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm actively listening right now but I can't help but think about it.

As I look around the room, about half of the class is on their laptops, a few on their phones, and believe it or not, someone is on an actual phone call.

These students on their laptops are all streaming videos, on Facebook, or answering emails.

Not to mention — why even come to class if you're spending the time muttering through your headphones on your phone call?

Anyways.

I mean, I know why I come to class - the holy sign in sheet.

Half the time I feel like I can teach myself the subject but Lord, the attendance points are worth around a tenth to quarter of your grade. So you mean to tell me that just by waking up early to sit in class and putz around on my laptop, I'm earning points? Easy AF.

Then again, at the same time you mean to tell me that in order to earn points, I have to come here early and be present in the classroom?

Shouldn't our education be based on something more than actually being physically present in a classroom? Eventually, when I'm working a full-time job, I will not be getting a raise because I show up to my desk on time every day. So why is our education system that way? By this structure, my grade increases every time I show up to class. Which obviously sounds like easy work, a walk in the park. But, why is my grade not fully based on the work I do and the homework I turn in to prove my knowledge? Why is my grade based on my initials written in a BIC #2 mechanical pencil every other day on a printed out sign in sheet?

I think typically when society hears that the "education system is messed up" they think of the traditional student loan debt crisis, or the debate on whether or not teachers are paid enough, etc.

The education system is really a joke half the time. I'm spending all of this money and putting myself in debt for the rest of my life to earn a bullshit letter grade. By which is partially earned on the fact that I actually can wake up on time.

Don't get me wrong, I work my ass off in school.

I work hard because obviously there is more that accounts towards any given grade than just simple points for attendance.

Nothing gets handed to me, and just because I'm a business major doesn't mean that I take blowoff classes. No major is "easier" than the next. But that's another tangent for another day.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm actively listening right now but I can't help but think about it.

Sometimes when I'm in class I really wonder who is paying attention.