Ed Sheeran's "Divide": Song By Song

Ed Sheeran's "Divide": Song By Song

Love can change the world in a moment, but what do I know?
Adrian
Adrian
53

I don't want to write another sappy article about a heartwarming album, but I'm gonna tell you a bit about each song that I love and then some other info about each song. Not only is every song a unique and different style, but the meanings vary from religion, to relationships, and even family.

Perfect

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling you look perfect tonight

This is the love song we all love; not only is it slow-dance ready, but it is has a beautiful message. It is a falling in love song, and a reminder how much you are loved by your special someone.

How Would You Feel (Paean)

How would you feel, if I told you I loved you?
It's just something that I want to do

How would you feel if I told you I love you because I want to. Sheeran talks about how he is falling in love more and more as time goes on and how he wants to feel the love in return. Not only does he want the love, but he sees loving her forever.

Dive

So don't call me baby
Unless you mean it
Don't tell me you need me
If you don't believe it
So let me know the truth
Before I dive right into you

This passionate song, strains the voice of our beloved singer. He is singing about someone he has strong feelings for; he does not want to get hurt.

Galway Girl

I swear I'm going to put you in a song that I write
About a Galway girl and a perfect night

She played the fiddle in an Irish band
But she fell in love with an English man

He changes tempo with this upbeat song, and tells the story of an Irish fiddler, falling in love with an English man.

Nancy Mulligan

She was Nancy Mulligan
And I was William Sheeran
She took my name and then we were one

This follows in the upbeat tempo, with an Irish, fiddle tempo. Sheeran tells the story of his grandparents and their relationship. His grandfather, William was denied his proposal to Nancy, by her father. The two love birds went on the run, and lived happily ever after.

Happier

Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

Sheeran recounts his past love that got away. He talks about the heartbreak he experiences when he sees her walking through town with another man, but she looks happier.

Hearts Don't Break Around Here

That every night I'll kiss you you'll say in my ear
Oh we're in love aren't we?

In this song, they realize that they really are in love with one another. He loves her; not just the safety of having her by his side, but the way she conquers her own fears.

Shape of You

And last night you were in my room
And now my bedsheets smell like you
Every day discovering something brand new
I'm in love with your body

If you're listening to this for the first time, you may be thinking that this is another one of Sheeran's love songs, you're wrong. This hit, is actually about the sexual attraction one experiences, and falling in love with someone's body.

New Man

I don't wanna know about your new man, cause if it was meant to be
You wouldn't be calling me up trying to
Cause I'm positive that he don't wanna know about me

He is looking at the relationship of someone he used to love. He recognizes all of the things this other guy does that he doesn't including working out, and the way he dresses. Sheeran doesn't want to know about her new man because he won't want to know about her.

Save Myself

And all the ones that love me, they just left me on the shelf, no farewell
So before I save someone else, I've got to save myself

Sometimes you need to save yourself, before you save everyone else. You can't save them if you are drained and gone.

Castle on the Hill

I miss the way
You make me feel
And it's real
We watched the sunset over the castle on the hill

Sheeran is reminiscing and thinking about his past and what life used to be like before he grew up. He even mentions his first kiss, and when his friends would drink together, to the future where everyone is older and grown up, and some are gone.

Barcelona

We're going, somewhere where the sun is shining bright
Just close your eyes, and let's pretend we're dancing in the street
In Barcelona

He is singing to someone to pretend that they are dancing in the streets and dancing throughout Barcelona. They fell in love in the moonlight in Barcelona.

What Do I Know?

Love can change the world in a moment,
but what do I know?

He speaks about what he has in life, such as the ability to stand on stage and perform for everyone. He received "love and understanding and positivity" from his family.

Eraser

I was born inside a small town, I've lost that state of mind. Learned to sing inside the Lord's house, but stopped at the age of 9. I forget when I get awards now, The wave I had to ride, The paving stones I played upon, They kept me on the grind

Sheeran can rap? Apparently he can.

Supermarket Flowers

Spread your wings as you go
And when God takes you back
He'll say Hallelujah, you're home

The piano based melody, puts us through the emotions that one feels when they lose a parent or loved one. Sheeran is singing the song based on his grandmother, and the happiness he feels about the new angel that he has watching over him.