Why I Dye My Hair, And Why It's None Of Your Business

My hair is my non-permanent outlet of expression, and it does not effect you.

227
Kaitlyn Pearsall

I am the person that is stared at on the street. Whether it be a child, in awe, or an old person in disgust. I often notice people stopping and letting their gaze hold slightly too long to be a glance.

Why? You may ask.

Well, I can only guess of course, but I believe it's because of my hair.

My hair is different, I will admit. It's always something new.

Dying hair has become increasingly common over years. It is said that in 1950, only 7% of women dyed their hair, now it is around 75%. I started dying my hair in 7th grade, just highlights or koolaid dip-dyes. Nothing over dramatic. But I always wanted bright red hair, like Ariel, or Ariana Grande. It took a long time before I could, since my mom wouldn't let me bleach my hair. Finally, my senior year, I found a dye right for me, and I went bright red.

Reactions were mixed. Some loved it some hated it, but what did that matter. i loved it. So much, in fact that I dyed my hair red for a year. For someone with naturally almost black hair, I can say that is a lot of upkeep.

so as someone who has gone red, blonde, purple, and blue since then, let me clue you in.

I don't do it for you.

This may be a shock, but for those of you who say "It doesn't look natural"

"That kills your hair"

"Why would you even want that color?"

Your opinion isn't why I dye my hair, I do it for several reasons.

I am an outgoing person, that is also very insecure. For me my hair is a way of expression. I like to stand out in a crowd. I find normal to be boring, when it's myself at least. i'm not the most beautiful person, and I feel like I am easily lost in the crowd. My hair is my staple. My way of being noticed.

I also dye my hair to express myself, in a safe way. We all go through hard times in our lives, and we all cope in different ways. In my life, when I go through something traumatic I want to change something in my life. My hair is a simple thing that I can change, it is something that I control that does not effect anyone else, but helps me. I feel that when I change my hair I can become a better person, and look at things in a lighter perspective.

My hair is my decision. My hair is beautiful, and I love it.