"I Don't Wanna Live Forever" - Some Thoughts

A stream of consciousness regarding the new Taylor Swift/Zayn Malik song ...

51
ITunes

I am a huge Taylor Swift fan. Simple as that. I have been a fan for over eight years and I don't think that will ever change. So when Swift released a new song on Dec. 8 at about 11:30 p.m., it is an understatement to say I was thrilled. Swift has not released new music since Oct. 27, 2014, and I can honestly say that her hiatus was taking a toll on me and all her other fans. This song was needed.

I went to bed early that Thursday night. However, when I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and checked my phone, I was in shock. The moment I had been waiting for for over 2 years was here. Taylor Swift had just put out the song, "I Don't Wanna Live Forever". Not only had Taylor Swift released a song, but she had released a song with her ex-boyfriends former band mate, Zayn Malik. Now that is a sentence I never thought I would write. Immediately, I listened to the song and I was hooked. The track begins with Malik singing: "Been sitting eyes wide open behind these four walls, hoping you'd call." His voice is high and angelic and behind his vocals is a clear beat. He continues to sing into the chorus where his lyrics are belted, but still have a smooth tone to them. And then suddenly, the part I had been waiting for. Swift begins singing her verse into the pre-chorus. Her voice is cracking in sense which adds to the purity of the lyrics. The listener is able to hear the vulnerability in Swift's voice and it enhances the message of the song. Personally, I think the most note worthy part of the song happens in the bridge. Swift sings, "Now I'm in a cab, I tell 'em where your place is" and during this lyric Swift holds a high note during the word "place". This showcases Swift's true vocal talent. As a whole, even through my 4 AM delusional state, I loved "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" through my first listen and I continue to love it even more every time I hear it.

However, I have to be honest: When I first saw that it was featured on the "Fifty Shades Darker" soundtrack I was less than thrilled. I think that the fifty shades trilogy does not teach the best lessons to young women. I personally believe that it romanticizes abusive relationships, but I have accepted the fact that the fact that Swift contributed to the soundtrack does not meet she endorses those ideas. The song itself does not portray that message and that is what matters to me. I can't say I will be seeing "Fifty Shades Darker" but I can say that I will continue to listen to "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" on loop.