No, I Don't Regret Not Moving Away For College

I chose to go to college in the same town I've lived in my whole life, and I don't have any regrets.

363
EIU Facebook

There is one part of my life that I never expected I would say with a small amount of shame.

I am going to college.

Now, I should probably explain myself here.

I am going to a college in the same town I was born in. The same town I was raised in, went to school in, and graduated high school in. I have lived in my small community for all eighteen years of my life. And, as fate would have it, there is a university right in the center of my little town.

I remember meeting new people at orientation. The high level or nervousness and awkwardness made all interactions more like a game of twenty questions, the most popular one being "so, where are you from?" While all the kids around me were usually from at least an hour drive away, I was the only person in my orientation group who answered "here...I'm from here." Apparently, no one was expecting a townie to actually stay in their town.

Now, I'm not the only person from my graduating class to stay in our quaint little town, but I am one the of few. I'm so happy for all of my classmates that have moved away for college, who are experiencing new things, but I'd like to say that my life is just as full of new experiences as yours. The only thing I lack is a change of scenery.

Even though I've driven past the university everyday of my life, every time I step on campus I experience something new. I meet a new person, I take part in campus activities, I learn something new. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a "college experience," I just feel like the one I have is a different kind. My story will probably never be made into a movie, and I'm fine with that. Sure, I don't live on campus with a dorm mate because I opted to stay in my own home, and no, I don't have to take a shuttle bus to get groceries, but I still get lost looking for buildings or rooms. Most of my close friends moved away to go to a different school, so I've been searching for new friends just like everyone else.

I always told myself that when I graduated high school I would get as far away from this town as possible, but that idea started to not make a lot of sense the older I got. I will complain about this small town for the rest of my life, but the truth is that, deep down I love this town. Every memory, good and bad, was created all over this place. Every friend, every enemy. There are so many people in this town who inspire me to live to my full potential, and as cheesy as that sounds, it's true. I love living close to my old high school because I get to continue to watch the clubs and activities I was in grow. I get to visit my friends who are still in high school. Old teachers, coworkers, and community members are all here to support me on my journey.

And my knowledge of this town has even helped me make new friends at school. So no, I didn't get to experience all the emotions of packing up and leaving for college, but I still feel happy with my choice everyday.

I might not live here for the rest of my life, but I'm glad that I chose to stay for a little while longer.