I Don't Like My Parents

I Don't Like My Parents

I love them, and here's why.

104
I Don't Like My Parents

I don’t like my parents, I love them. My parents are nothing short of extraordinary, and some of the greatest people I know. My parents are a unit in almost every aspect of their lives, but all the while keep their independence where it is needed. They are the perfect combination of caring and authoritative, serious and funny, and hardworking while still knowing how to relax. They would do anything and everything for my brother and me, and they make sure that we never want or need for a thing in life. My parents are the backbone of our family, and there are a million reasons I could give about why I feel like the luckiest kid alive to have the parents that I do. However, these are the ones I am most thankful for.

1. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they are my biggest supporters, my coaches, my teachers, my therapists, my strength in both the greatest and hardest times, and so much more. Even though their only official title is “Mom and Dad.”

I can't begin to count the amount of times my parents have stopped what they're doing to help me with whatever I needed. I can't begin to tell you the amount of times they drove me places or the amount of times they listened to my problems no matter how trivial they may or may not be.

2. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they are a constant reminder that home is where the heart is, and I am never alone.

They assure me that it doesn't matter what the distance between us is because home isn't necessarily a physical place, it's the people you love.

3. I don’t like my parents. I love them because my parents have, and would, sacrifice everything and anything for me.

Any time of the day, week, month or year I know they would drop (and have dropped) everything for me to make sure I am okay. Its the type of love, and dedication, only a parent could offer.

4. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they have taught me respect for myself, my friends and family. And because of this I am a better person.

From the day I was born my parents have taught me to respect myself, and those around me. They have taught me tolerance for those who do not look/act/think like me, have taught me good morals, and have taught me right from wrong.

5. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they are both authority figures, and my best friends.

My parents are my authority figures whenever they need be, but they're also my best friends and the people I can go to whenever I want some company. There is no one I'd rather stay in on a Friday night, and watch movies with.

6. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they push me to be the very best version of myself.

This is definitely something I value most during the times where I doubt myself. In the times where I fail at something, or maybe don't do it to the best of my ability, my parents always push me to try again and strive for greatness. They see my full potential even when I may not.

7. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they constantly remind me of my own self-worth (even when I sometimes doubt it).

When I don't feel awesome about myself my parents are always around to remind me of the attributes they love about me. They never let me feel down about myself, and always remind me that no one has the ability to make feel badly about myself.

8. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they remind me that true love is possible, and when you find it you’ll know. I love them because they are a daily reminder that it is possible to remain just as in love thirty years later as you were on the day you were married. Maybe even more.

9. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they always manage to work past all of the rough times. And show us that nothing is always perfect all the time, but it is always worth it.

Not every day is perfect, and they don't claim them to always be, but they always choose to make it through knowing that in the end it is certainly always worth it.

10. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they never judge me.

Even in eighth grade when I decided to get full bangs, and wear heavy eyeliner they have never judged me once in my life (But sometimes like to remind me years later of the questionable bangs choice I made that year).

11. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they never take themselves too seriously, and show me how to do the same.

They get everything done they need to during the day, but also know how to let loose and have a great time. They're some of the silliest people, and I am so thankful to have inherited that sense of humor from them.

12. I don’t like my parents. I love them because of all of the continuous love, laughs, and smiles we share every single day.

One of the greatest things I have ever taken away from my parents is their ability to smile through it all.

13. I don’t like my parents. I love them because they love me through everything. Even when I sometimes forget to love myself.