The Night My Dog Ate Chinese Was The Worst Night Of My Life

The Night My German Shephard Ate Chinese Food Was One Of The Worst Nights Of My Life

Human food has no place in a dog's stomach, I found out the hard way.

757
Aren Westney

I'm home alone, the rest of my family is out of state for a wedding. It's just my German Shepherd and me at home to hold down the fort.

It's time for him to be fed, and I go to the garage to feed him. However, he is nowhere to be found. This puzzles me for a moment. "He should be in here," I thought. I open the door to downstairs and an ice cold draft hits me in the face. I realize he must have gotten in the house and shudder. This can't be good.

The night before, everyone was at home and we finished cleaning up the kitchen from a dinner of Chinese takeout. The leftovers were put in the garage since the fridge is full, and the near-freezing temperatures allow for a garage to substitute as a fridge.

Big mistake.

15 minutes after putting the food outside, I went out to the garage to see empty cartons of food, with a satisfied dog with a stomach full of Chinese food in his stomach. German Shepherds are smart dogs, it's nobody's fault but the humans.

Back to tonight. I walk down the stairs, a bad smell slowly filling my nose the further down I go. I turn the corner and see it...all of the Chinese food that my dog had eaten the night before, vomited all over the basement floor. I internally scream, knowing that there is only me to clean it up.

I still haven't found him though. Where could he be? Then I see him, hiding in the corner covering his face in embarrassment (yes, he gets embarrassed).

Any anger that I have for him goes away. He is still the little puppy I remember being able to hold in one hand. Part of me thinks he will always be a puppy in my mind. To a small degree, I understand now how parents feel about their children.

Moral of the story: don't let your furry friends eat Chinese food, ever, if you were considering it.