Don't Dwell or Overthink Your Life
Life Stages

Don't Dwell In The Past Or Overthink The Future, Live In The Moment

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream in the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment" — Buddha

75

As a little child I have always thought about the future and what I was going to be, who I would become, and of course, the most important question who I was going to marry. Then when we are adults we think about "the good old days" and how things used to be when we were growing up. However, we can't can't get excited in the present because it is currently happening, and we can't reflect in the present because it is also currently happening. The only way to be in the present is if you live in the moment

Now I used to be that type of person that would always wish the weekend would come faster or for this trip to be now instead of two months from now because I was excited and I knew that my state of happiness would be much greater in those moments. Then the moment would come and I would be sad or disappointed if something didn't go exactly how I was planning or when it ended and think about it later on wishing I was back on the beach or not sitting in class. You see, I never realized that its truly the little things in life that really make us enjoy the present moment

Especially in college, students are constantly worried and unsure about the future: worried about internships, getting enough volunteering hours, and getting the perfect grades, that sometimes we forget to be in the moment and do your best at that exact moment. Of course, this doesn't mean we don't need to plan, set goals or prepare for the future. We can do all of these things and still enjoy each moment as it unfolds.

To make every moment count we must embrace it. Everything we do and every person we come in contact with deserves our full attention. Even when resting we should savor the moment. It gives us the opportunity to recharge, renew and gain clarity. Quite often we put huge expectations on ourselves and our lives. We rush to do this, hurry up with that, without actually enjoying the process. What's the rush? Where do we think we're going?

In conclusion, some benefits of living in the moment are that you become more connected with your thoughts and feelings, feel more gratitude and enjoyment of life, and get more connected to others. Once you start living in the moment you won't miss any opportunities and enjoy life so much more