I Don't Believe In Coincidences

I Don't Believe In Coincidences

This wasn't random, it was a sign.

551
I Don't Believe In Coincidences

Has something ever happened to you where at first you think it's a coincidence, then you start to realize that maybe it isn't?

Maybe I'm slowly losing my mind due to the lack of sleep I've had these past two weeks or the universe is messing with me, but everything that happened this past week is no coincidence in my eyes.

I spent this past week at the AMA International Collegiate Conference in New Orleans. From the first day I arrived, I had a weird feeling that Vinny was there with me.

I was constantly texting my sister, telling her that I was convinced Vinny was around. I kept hearing "Closer," which was Vinny's song–since he was the one who showed it to us–more throughout the week than I have in the past two months. As the week progressed, it became even more evident. Vinny was everywhere. I guess he wanted to go to New Orleans too?

Throughout the past five months, all I have ever wanted is for him to send me signs. That's exactly what I got.

My first day exploring New Orleans was spent walking down random streets, stopping to hear the live music and taking it all in. It wasn't until I turned a random corner that I heard, "Closer" playing. "Alright that was weird," I thought to myself. I brushed it off because it's one of the most popular songs this year. As the week continued I began hearing it more and more, at the most random times.

One night as I was standing on the balcony of a bar looking over Bourbon St. and the wave of belligerent souls, doing whatever they could to catch some beads, my mind began to wander. I found myself thinking about Vin, which wasn't anything out of the ordinary. However this time, right as I looked at my tattoo and started to think about him, "Closer" began blasting from the bar across the street. I froze. Sure, I understand the song is popular, but I don't believe the timing was coincidental at all.

I like to think it's his way of saying, "Awww Ash, I know you're thinking about me but smile, I'm right here!!"

As I checked my phone today I noticed it was the 20th. A rush of sadness made my heart stop. Today marks five months without Vinny. Five months and yet I replay those six days as if they took place yesterday.

The weirdest part of all is that my trip lasted from the 14th to the 20th. The same exact dates that were spent in the hospital for Vinny five months ago.

So take this all as a coincidence, but if you ask me, I don't think it is one. It's a lot more than that. I don't believe in coincidences, there is no such thing. It's not chance or luck, it's the universe's way of giving you a sense of hope or leaving you absolutely speechless.

Maybe you'll never understand where I'm coming from until you go through it yourself or maybe you don't believe in signs from above. But for me, it's these moments that make the days a little brighter and put a smile on my face. Moments where I hear the one song that turned into Vinny's song that make me stop in my tracks as chills take over my body. Moments that comfort me the most.

It's a constant reminder that although the past few months haven't been easy, Vinny's always there.

My trip was amazing, but all of these signs from my best friend are what made it even more memorable.