Governor Ducey Urges Arizonans To Get Their Flu Shot
Currently

Gov. Doug Ducey asks Arizonans to receive an influenza vaccine amid concerns over the 2020 flu season.

4577

Gov. Doug Ducey has asked Arizonans to receive an influenza vaccine amid concerns over the 2020 flu season.

During the press conference held Thursday, Gov. Ducey and Arizona Department of Health Services Director Dr. Cara Christ provided an update regarding COVID-19 in Arizona as well as the distribution and urgency of the 2020 influenza vaccine.

Christ said that ADHS expects to have a surplus amount of influenza vaccines this year, as well as the distribution of them through January 2021.

Christ announced that ADHS is launching a new public service campaign alongside the vaccines titled "Roll Up Your Sleeve" to promote influenza vaccination in Arizona this season.

"This (campaign) encourages everyone to protect themselves and to protect others," said Christ.

YouTube

A common misconception about the influenza vaccine is that those who receive it contract influenza. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, flu vaccines do not cause flu illness. Flu vaccines are made with an inactive virus or a protein from the virus, which in turn does not infect those who are vaccinated.

"I want to remind everyone that the influenza vaccine is safe and the best tool to protect from influenza," said Christ.

Gov. Ducey shared that Arizona COVID-19 cases have been on a downward trend, as well as having only a 4 percent positivity rate in the state for three weeks straight.

Emma Guiney, a COVID-19 survivor, said, "As someone who had COVID-19, receiving the flu vaccine is the best method to protect myself from further illnesses. I strongly recommend that everyone gets vaccinated to be protected from the flu."

Arizona is currently preparing for the future distribution of a COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available. Christ said that ADHS is working with community providers and mass immunizers to get them registered when a vaccine is available so it can be distributed to the public.

"I ask every Arizonan to please get a flu shot, get your flu shot for your family. Let's keep these disciplines up for the fall" Gov. Ducey said.