Follow Your Dreams Not Your Ears
Life Stages

Doing What You Love

It's not always easy to ignore everyone else but it's necessary.

55
Doing What You Love
https://unsplash.com/photos/w9YHKTK-wLo

I've always wanted to be a doctor, whether it is for animals or children or athletes has changed throughout the years but I've always wanted to be a doctor. Part of a dream to be a doctor definitely stems from my love of helping others (sometimes too much). I'm the type of person who will help someone, anyone else over helping themselves.

And as a child, no one told me it was impossible.

They explained the work, how hard it would be but if I worked hard, it would possible. I knew I would have to work hard to achieve my goals, but never thought I would be able to achieve it. This carried over through all of my schoolings even into my undergraduate degree.

Despite the family and personal issues going on.

In my freshman year of my undergraduate degree, I decided that I wanted to be a Chiropractor and some people in my family became significantly less supportive. Not because they didn't care but because they were unaware of what a chiropractor was.

I was even told, "I thought you wanted to be a real doctor."

But I ignored them because I knew it was the career path I wanted. I focused on school and being the best me that I could be. I did more research into my profession, went to a conference and talked to current D.Cs. And the more I pushed the more I fell in love with my career.

Now I am going to the best chiropractic school in the country in the fall to get not one but TWO degrees. And interning at a chiropractic office in my town….

And I couldn't be happier.

I go into my internship two or three times a week for anywhere from four to eight hours each time and every time I am there I am smiling and I am learning. And when I leave, I want to go back. I want to get more hours there than I currently am and fewer hours in my textbooks.

That's how I know I made the right choice.

Someday soon, in the next 4 years, I will be a chiropractor working on patients. I will be changing someone's life and making a difference. And that's the most important part.

I am happy.

If I had listened to everyone around me, I would never have gotten this far. I probably would not have made it into medical school and would be doing something completely different with my life. And honestly, I probably wouldn't be happy.

The point is everyone is so caught up in what society, their friends, their family and everyone around them thinks that they ignore what they think. The point is you need to be happy and comfortable with yourself and your own life before you can be happy and share that with someone else.

Plus it's your life, they're not the ones going to your job every day. They're not the ones who have to deal with the ups and downs of the career you chose.

Do what is best for you and what will make you happy.