Disney World: First-Timer's To-Do List

Disney World: First-Timer's To-Do List

8 destinations in Disney you won't want to miss

47
Disney World: First-Timer's To-Do List
8tracks

Disney World: The Happiest Place on Earth! The popular theme park near Orlando attracts thousands of people every year from all around the world to enjoy the one-of-a-kind rides and restaurants. There's a lot to do, but it can be overwhelming if you're visiting for the very first time. I've come up with a list of my favorite things to do when I go to Disney World, and I would highly recommend making these a priority to visit on your own trip! You will never be able to fully experience Disney in one trip, but these are some of the most exciting rides and destinations.

1. Rockin' Roller Coaster, Hollywood Studios.

This high-speed indoor roller-coaster is completely Aerosmith themed! The ride starts off in a room where you are "invited" to tag along with Aerosmith to one of their concerts. From there, you hop in your limousine (the roller-coaster car), Aerosmith blasting in your ears, a timer counts down, and you go from zero to 60 mph in about three seconds. The ride is in the dark but completely decked out in neon lights, creating the feeling of nightlife in a big city! There are loops and corkscrews, but its going so fast you barely notice!

2. Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater, Hollywood Studios.

Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater is modeled to look like an old-fashioned drive in theater from the 50's. Your table is shaped like a car and car hops serve you food as you enjoy vintage cartoons and short-films on the big screen!

3. Be Our Guest, The Beast's Castle, Magic Kingdom.

Easily my favorite restaurant in Disney World, we were very fortunate to get to visit the Beast's Castle. The restaurant is absolutely amazing and its modeled after The Beauty and the Beast movie. There are three places in the castle to dine: the Grand Ballroom where Beast and Belle share their first dance, the Rose Room, or Beast's Library. You also have a chance to meet the Beast himself as he wanders through the crowd or if you wait in line, you can get your photo taken with him. Plan ahead though, reservations are apparently very hard to get and you have to make them months in advance. I was lucky enough to get to go on my last trip because of our family friends! (Thanks, Marty and Teresa.)

4. Star Wars: Star Tours, Hollywood Studios.

I am a huge fan of the new "Star Wars" movie and they have recently updated this attraction with the release of the movie. Star Tours is a ride that takes you on a simulated spaceship with C-3P0 and R2D2. The ride starts off by taking a seat in your space-craft. You put on some 3-D glasses and watch the screen in front of you. The room tilts and shakes as it takes you on a ride through space!

5. Disney Springs.

If you need a day to relax and unwind away from the parks, Disney Springs is probably the best place to go. There are loads of shops and restaurants to keep you entertained for hours. Souvenirs and mouse ears galore!

6. Expedition Everest, Animal Kingdom.

I love this roller-coaster! Take a journey to Nepal to hunt down the Yeti -- this ride is full of twists and turns as you try to escape the yeti that has been following you. You move forward through the roller-coaster until the yeti destroys your track, then you start going backwards. It adds an awesome twist to the traditional roller-coaster design!

7. Dinosaur, Animal Kingdom.

This ride terrified me as a child. (There's a picture of eight-year old me screaming in terror floating around somewhere.) But 20-year-old me loves it! The concept of this ride is you are helping a scientist go back in time and capture a specific dinosaur that he wants to study. However, things get scary when he accidentally sends you back to the time the asteroid wiped out the dinosaur population! So its a race against time to find the right dinosaur all while escaping from a huge animatronic T-Rex that chases you right up until the end of the ride. Leave your kiddos in the waiting area, unless they were like me and say, "I'm not scared!" Later, you can tell them, "I told you so."

8. Rainforest Cafe, Animal Kingdom or Disney Springs.

Rainforest Cafe can be found in Disney Springs or at the entrance of the Animal Kingdom. This restaurant has the best atmosphere ever. As pictured above, it actually looks like a rainforest and they add to the ambiance by playing rain, thunder and animal sounds as you enjoy your meal. The entire message behind this restaurant is to make sure you appreciate and preserve the Earth's rainforests, where some of the most diverse life on the planet exists!