Disney Is Killing The Theater Industry, And We Need To Stop It

Do we want a generation of convenience at the expense of our money?

16

A couple of days ago, CNBC published a title explaining Disney's new plan for films going forward

In their new plan, the media giant wants to push for a more direct-to-consumer model. From the looks of it, Disney wants to release more and more content on Disney+ and slowly faze out prioritizing theater releases. Disney is one of the largest movie distributors in the world having just acquiring 20th Century Fox a few days ago. Disney in the last twenty years is turning into a very disturbing monopoly that can only end badly. This new push to basically faze out theaters is very disruptive to not only future consumers but future non-consumers.

I never understood the appeal of watching movies at home

I think especially with COVID-19 the discussion about movies and digital content has come up. For me, I love the experience of going to the theater. Not because I enjoy films and am some type of film coinsure. But rather, I just enjoy getting out of the house and doing things and spending like a Friday night just going to the movies is always a relaxing experience. Especially with Athens and Athens Cinema, I remember when 'Birds of Prey' (2020) came out in theaters, it was fun to just walk down court street and just watch a film if there was nothing to do.

I can understand if someone doesn't like people talking during a movie or the extreme concession stand prices.

However, I feel like by shifting to this streaming mentality it will cause great consequences for all

The movie companies like Sony, Disney, and Warner Bros keep delaying and delaying their movie releases over the fear of financial loss on their new releases. Honestly, these movie companies need to get off their high horse. Everyone is going through a difficult time right now and losing money. There are people in America praying for another $1200 stimulus check because the first one did nothing for the average American. Other parts of the world are frustrated with America. Since these films are being produced by American companies, each delay is a middle finger to the theaters in the UK, New Zealand, or Australia who are being affected with no movie releases. Thousands of movie theater employees are suffering to feed their families.

In the end, I get that everyone prefers to convenience over anything

But I do not feel it is a good idea to have a generation of people grow and not live outside the walls of their own home. I personally remember everyone would always say things like, "I love staying home and not doing things, it is so much more fun." And now eight months later everyone says screw that and wants to go out and spread COVID-19. Maybe I'm just complaining just to complain, but I just didn't like Disney's idea here – it can lead to many new problems like the Disney+/Mulan controversy. Imagine spending $7.00 for a subscription and then another $20 for each new film released. I can definitely feel this method being abused by studio companies in the future.

What do you think about all this?