Some May Think Taking A Semester Off Is Crazy, But For Me It Was The Best Decision Of My Life

Everyone's college experience is different. Everyone graduates at their own pace. Never let anyone determine your college path for you. For me, college took a slight pause when I applied for The Disney College Program and was accepted.

42
Personal Photo

When I was in high school, my sister applied and got accepted into the Disney College Program. At the time, I thought she was crazy for taking a whole semester off of college to live and work for Disney. Fast forward to my Sophomore year of college and I am perfecting my application and practicing for my phone interview. Then, I was accepted! My whole world stopped around me. I could not fathom taking a whole semester off of school. I did not know how I would manage to graduate on time with all my friends as well as how am I going to pick up my life and move it to Florida and make all new friends and live with random people. Despite all the nerves and stress, I was feeling I still felt hope. I have loved Disney all my years growing up. I am a child at heart and love the Disney magic feel. I wanted to create the magic for other people the same way Disney cast members did for me growing up. So I accepted my offer and planned to move out of my apartment in Kentucky home to Illinois for 3 weeks to move my life all the way to Orlando, Florida.

The day I moved into my apartment in Disney I never knew how much my life would be forever changed. The way The Disney College Program provides housing for all program participants. They allow you to pair with 3 people and to rank your top housing choices but basically where you live and with who is up to them. I moved into Patterson Court not knowing anyone I would be living with. I moved in second to last into a 6 person 3 bedroom apartment with girls I knew nothing about. It was not until my roommate, Camille, arrived. When she moved in, we had so many things in common, and we both seemed quiet but eager to live in Disney together. The first few days in Disney were hard for me I will not lie I struggled to find my new friend group as well as I went to Orlando with no car so I was stranded until I figured out Disney's bus system.

Once I began work, I discovered just how much went into working for The Walt Disney Company. Disney had science to everything you see in the parks. Every little detail you may never think of Disney does. I learned so much about myself and Disney during my training. I won't lie, some days were hard work. I worked at a resort doing morning shifts and I got exhausted many times but the Disney magic kept my spirits alive even on days I was so tired of working.

During my time at Disney World, I became super close with 2 of my roommates. We began doing everything together from of course trips to the Disney parks to Chick Fil A runs to beach trips. They became my go-to people. I seriously met the greatest people during my time at Disney World. My roommates and co-workers were all great and they came at a time where I did not even know I needed them.

I am so blessed for the time I was able to have to work for Disney. Taking a semester off of school had its challenges but the experiences I was able to have outweighs any negatives. I was able to make life long friendships while getting to explore Disney World whenever I wanted. The memories I made and the lesson The Walt Disney Company taught me are ones I could not make if I did not make the leap and say yes to this experience of a lifetime. For anyone second guessing doing the program, do it. It's hard work but worth every second. Also to anyone struggling with taking a semester off of school, do something like I did. Do it because you may learn so much more about yourself then college could ever teach you.