Different Flavors of Love

Different Flavors of Love

This one simple word encompasses so many different feelings.

12
Different Flavors of Love

We as humans are creatures of compassion and love. Even the coldest and cruelest of us feel love for something or someone, even if it is for themselves. Let's explore the different types of love one can feel for others in their life.

1. Familial Love

This is the first type of love we will ever encounter. From our first cry, we imprint on our parents and even after on our siblings. This love runs deep, its roots tied into the basis of our personalities. It brings us back home until we have grown into our own independent beings and are able to leave the nest.

2. Platonic Love

The next type of love we will encounter in our lifetime will be the love we have for our friends. These are the people we choose to face the challenges of life with each day. These are our companions, people we wake up to and choose to love again over and over again each day.

3. Chosen Familial Love

This love is a strong blend of the two previous types of love. This love begins its life as love of friends and just grows exponentially until it has transformed into familial love. These are people you chose to have in your life that have grown to be your family and they will do anything for you and they the same for you.

4. Aunt Love

This doesn't apply to everyone. But this year my best friend had her daughter. The bond and love I quickly felt for this tiny girl was so intense that it blew me away. It was so deep that as I held her and felt this love blossoming that I actually started to cry. All I wanted to do was take care of her and help take care of her. Obviously I knew she wasn't mine - that was something that never crossed my mind. She was my niece and that was it.

5. Relationship Love

This love is typically one of the last ones you find in life. You'll know this type of love when you find that person that doesn't complete you, because you are complete on your own, but compliments you in the best ways. It is a love that fulfills the ultimate need to companionship, a life partner. Someone you can wake up with each day and happily fall asleep to each night. They are someone you can't imagine life without.

6. Pet Love

Finally, pet love. Most people have animals that they care for and have bonded to. Some people will say this love can rival that of having children - but as I have no children yet I cannot make that comparison, even though I do have a cat of my own. It is a happiness and love that you sustain even after the pet will pass on.