Dear Future Sorority Women

Dear Future Sorority Women

Nervous about sorority recruitment? This advice will help get you through!

11

I bet the first thing you did this summer was sign up for sorority recruitment. Whether you're fresh out of high school, ready to experience everything college has to offer, or already going through college, but want to be more involved. Rush is going to be an experience unlike anything else! You'll have about 50 girls talking to you a day. You're basically a princess!

If you're anything like I was, you probably have tons of questions you want answered before you go through this process. After going through rush, both from your position and as a member in my sorority, I'm here to give you some tips on how to have a smooth recruitment!

Do your research.

Google all the houses you're going to be visiting! Learn about their philanthropy! (That's the charity/organization you'll be raising money for in your house.) Read about their history! Find aspects you want to know more about and get interested! Formulate questions to ask when the opportunity arises during your visit with that house! You'll be glad you did!

Dress for the weather.

I can not stress this enough. You will be waiting and walking outside a lot. Check the weather for the week and plan your outfits ahead of time.

If it's going to rain, wear an outfit that'll either look super cute with a rain jacket or won't be see-through when soaking wet. Invest in some waterproof mascara. You'll feel much more comfortable if your makeup isn't streaming down your cheeks. A small umbrella that fits into a purse would be a good idea, as well.

When I went through recruitment, the temperature got to 102 degrees. It. Was. Hell. Actually, I don't think hell even gets that hot. Be prepared! Wear something breezy! Stay away from dark colors that'll make you hotter. And don't assume it's going to be cooler in the houses! There are 100-plus girls in there trying to use the A/C at once. I promise it's just as hot and humid inside as it is outside.

So remember to check the weather and plan for the week! Be even smarter and check the weather again the night before, then make adjustments to your outfit accordingly. You'll thank me later.

Come prepared.

Bring a small purse. Yes, you can have one! In your purse there should be: gum or mints, a granola bar, tissues, a small mirror, a brush if needed, tampons if it's that time, extra bobby pins, deodorant, mascara and lipstick (and maybe that umbrella). Pack these things up, and you'll get through the parties without a problem! When I rushed, I packed a cheap pair of flip-flops in my purse so my ankles wouldn't be screaming in pain from heels. But don't freak out! You'll have enough time before each house to slip back on your wedges and stash the flops!

Ignore the gossip.

There are a lot of people who have nothing better to do than to hate on Greek life. Sometimes they hear one story and judge the sorority and other times they know something one girl of that house has done so they attribute her mistake to the entire house. Whatever the reason, please, please, please don't listen to it. Every house has amazing qualities that you should get to know before making a rash judgment against them. Go into recruitment with an open mind, and I promise you'll have a much nicer experience.

In the wise words of the great Taylor Swift,

And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake.
Shake it off! Shake it off!

Don't cut houses based on your friends' choices.

You're coming to college with a group of friends from high school? That's awesome! Y'all are going through recruitment together? Even better! But trust me on this, do not tell your friends which houses you want and don't want. As hard as it will be, do not plan to be in the same house as your friends. If you try to end up in the same house, you risk the awkward possibility that someone (maybe even you) won't get into the same house and will feel left out. You also face the risk of falling in love with a house, but cutting them because your friends didn't feel it was right for them, and that's not fair to you! By all means, get ready together! Carpool with each other! Talk about the funny thing that happened to you in one of the parties! But keep your house preferences to each other. I know its scary to think you may not be with the people you're used to, but if your friendship is strong enough, having different letters won't change anything.

Be yourself.

You probably just rolled your eyes. Yes, I'm aware that's the biggest cliché someone can tell you, but it couldn't be truer! Don't try to put on some kind of act to get the houses to accept you. We ask you questions to get to know YOU, not some "modified" version of you. The house you truly belong to will accept you for exactly who you are. Stop rolling your eyes. It sounds cheesy, but there really is a house that you will fit into perfectly or, as I said, "you will truly belong to." Think of it as finding a huge group of your soulmates. Would you want to be with the wrong soulmates? No! So be yourself and everything will fall into place!

Come on, sing the Bruno Mars song with me ...

There's not a thing that I would change.
'Cause you're amazing, just the way you are.

Keep all these things in mind as you're preparing yourself for recruitment. Rush is an amazing experience, and you should be extremely excited as it gets closer. Relax. You're just talking. You know you can talk someone's ear off if you wanted to, so don't freak out! Don't be afraid to ask questions. Trust your Gamma Chis! They're sorority women who temporarily give up their letters to guide you through rush with an unbiased opinion. They want what's best for you and just want to help. Use this as an opportunity to meet girls and make friends! I met some of my best friends during rush, and we all went separate houses! Allow yourself to be more open and willing to get to know others.

But above all, have fun!

Best of Luck,
A Current Sorority Woman