Dear Freshman Me,

Dear Freshman Me,

There is a lot you still need to learn.

68
Dear Freshman Me,

Starting college is a big scary decision and step into your future. You're gonna be scared and get homesick. As much as you think you don't need your parents anymore, you still do. The friends you made in high school, might not be your friends by the end of the year and that's okay, you'll make new long-lasting friendships. Those freshman events you think are silly or stupid, go to them, they are worth it. There is so much you still have to learn. And these are things I wish I could have told myself before freshman year.

These next four years will change you. You'll grow as a person and realize who is truly supporting you as a person. You might drop some people on the way and it might be hard but the people you are left with, they're the ones who will always be there for you. Don't be afraid to drop a few friends that your gut is telling you to. Your gut is typically right. Don't be afraid to befriend upperclassmen, they'll be your best guides in school.

Call your mom at least once a week. This isn't only for her but also for you. It'll help keep you sane but also in the loop of what is going on at home. Being away at school, it can make you feel like an outsider at home if you let it. Staying in touch with home will allow you to know what's new but also help you feel better.

Those freshmen events will be actually kind of fun to be at, and it is a great way to make friends. You'll have more fun than you think and it's a worth wild event most of the time. You'll also learn a lot about yourself and the world at these events.

Go to organization fairs and join some. These can help you build your resume but also help you meet some amazing people. This is where you'll meet people who you have things in common with. They want to be there and half the time the events are so much fun!

Leave time for a social life. This will keep you from going absolutely insane and from having constant meltdowns, which are normal by the way. Your social life is important, it allows you to relax and forget about school for a bit. It also keeps you from isolating yourself.

Meltdowns are okay and perfectly normal. Being anxious might be something that's new to you but it comes with college, unfortunately. You might have a few meltdowns while doing work but we all have them. Your first one might freak you out but it's fine.

As I reflect on my years of college, the most important lesson I've learned is, don't wish it away. You may get tired of school and want it to be over, but enjoy the next four years. They are a big part of your life and can truly shape you into the person you're going to be. Sure, you may want to be a full-blown adult, but enjoy the days where you can still be a kid. Enjoy the summer breaks and winter breaks, go on vacations to new places, date that person, go to parties or don't that is your choice to make. But overall, be a kid and have fun. This time of your life goes by fast but enjoy every minute.