Tips For Dealing With Your Roommate

Tips For Dealing With Your Roommate

Roommates, can't live (on campus) without 'em!

14
Tips For Dealing With Your Roommate
Millennial Influx

One way to ensure a successful first year of college is to get along with your roommate. You and your roommate will be spending a lot of time together. It is important to have good communication,understanding and respect for each other. You may be nervous about living with a person that you don't know. Trust me, it's not as bad as you think! Just follow these tips and you will definitely feel a lot better about dorm life.

Tip #1 : Communication

If you have a problem with something your roommate is doing, tell them respectfully. They should understand and appreciate the fact that you let them know that something was bothering you.

Tip #2 : Set rules or boundaries

Let your roommate know how you feel about having company. You can see how to work out who controls the air conditioning or who goes to the shower first. Setting rules will make the atmosphere more comfortable because both of you will know what the other does and does not want.

Tip #3 : Hang out sometime

You are not obligated to be best friends with your roommate, but it's not a bad idea to go hang out sometimes! Try inviting them to a movie or go to a game. The more you get to know your roommate, the better. I promise!

Tip #4 : Respect each other's belongings

Nobody wants anybody to go through their things or have something stolen. Have respect for what is not yours. If you want to borrow something from your roommate, just ask. If you are a messy person, try to keep the room together, especially if your roommate is a clean freak!

Tip #5 : Accept your roommate for who they are

You can't expect everyone to be exactly like you or think like you. You also can't stay upset if your roommate doesn't meet your expectations. You will live! Learn to get along with and respect people from every race, religion and background and you will be fine!