A Day At The Movies

A Day At The Movies

There's Nothing Like A Matinee

3
A Day At The Movies
retro planet

Last Friday was a fun day at the movies. We bought snacks, giant bags of popcorn, and large beverages, and settled in for what we assumed would be a hilarious movie starring Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn. The movie was "Snatched."

Here’s a quick synopsis: After being dumped by her boyfriend just before their romantic getaway to Ecuador, Emily Middleton (Amy Shumer) invites her very reluctant mother, Linda (Goldie Hawn), on the trip of a lifetime. While on the trip, they begin working through their differences as mother and daughter and find that things are very complicated, to say the least.

**SPOILERS** While on this exotic adventure, Emily comes across a handsome young man and is instantly taken aback by him. She enjoys his company and immediately says yes when he invites her to have some fun. At first, everything seems perfectly innocent; he takes her to a party where they drink and have a blast, then he offers to take her and her mom on a road trip the next day. This is where things take a little bit of a twist. On the way back from their day of fun. they’re side swiped by a van and the girls are kidnapped. The two women find themselves trapped in a room, in hysterics, trying to find they’re way out. Emily and her mother attempt to escape multiple times, but to no avail. After they meet their captors they’re placed in the trunk of a car. From there they make their first escape. The first time they jump on the back of the truck, they make it several miles only to be found shortly after. The second time they escape they make it onto a boat with a man they assume is a wilderness expert. He really isn’t, and they end up traveling through the Amazon on their own because he gets himself killed trying to swing across a ravine on a vine. This time, Emily makes it to safety with the help of her mother and a doctor they met along the way, but Linda is caught and taken back to their hideout. Emily goes back in search of Linda with the help of two women that they met at the hotel they were staying at. One of the women was once special ops. While the women were whisked away by a bus, Emily was able to help Linda escape the lair of the men who had kidnapped them. Eventually, they are rescued and taken back to the US, but of course they go back to traveling, this time in the name of helping save humanity.

While this move kept my attention, I actually sat through the whole thing, I think that it could have been a lot better. The plot was just alright and the acting could have been a little better. It wasn’t exactly the funniest movie I’ve ever seen. It fell a little short of my expectations, I thought it would be a lot funnier. One thumb up for me.