Daniel Prude Died After Being Restrained By The Police Who Were Called To Help Him
Currently

Daniel Prude Died After Being Restrained By The Rochester Police Who Were Called To Help Him

Prude's brother called the police to help his brother and his brother wound up dying as a result.

1816

Bodycam footage has surfaced of an incident in March during which Daniel Prude, an unarmed Black man, died after an interaction with the police.

In the graphic footage, Prude is naked and apparently having a mental health episode. According to a report by CNN, Prude's brother called the Rochester, NY police for help while his brother was having the episode.

The police arrived on the scene and Prude can be seen complying with what they were asking. He apparently started to spit and the officers put a "spit sock" on his head to reduce exposure to COVID-19. Prude was visibly triggered by the spit sock and officers detained him, pressing his body and head into the pavement.

15 minutes later, he was pronounced brain dead.

Rochester First reported on the autopsy report saying:

"... Prude's cause of death includes 'complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.' The report also showed that Prude also had a small amount of PCP in his system at the time of his death, which could explain his erratic behavior."

Although this happened in March, the release of this bodycam footage has sparked a wave of advocacy against police brutality and racism on twitter with the hashtag #DanielPrude.

Protests have also begun to break out in Rochester as a result of the cam footage.

Prude's brother gave an impassioned speech saying, "My brother ain't a threat to anyone but his damn self."

The treatment of Daniel Prude is another instance of injustice for Black Americans at the hands of the police. And it is just another example as to why Black Lives Matter exists and what the cost of racism and injustice is.